Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 50hr service indicator just came on today and I wont have time to get it done before leaving on a 10 day hunting trip this Friday.

I know valve timing is part of the service and I would suspect an oil/fluids change?

Any foreseeable problems with putting this off until I get back?

(My first Quad and I don't want to [email protected]%* anything up that doesn't need to be.)

·
11,155 Posts
Nah, just worry about that big buck and change it when you get back if you don't have time. That being said, it only takes about 30 minutes to change the engine oil and then you could do the rest later.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nah, just worry about that big buck and change it when you get back if you don't have time. That being said, it only takes about 30 minutes to change the engine oil and then you could do the rest later.
Thanks. And we're going for Bull Moose. :D

·
Registered
679 Posts
I have a buddy with a SP700. After 5 years of ownership and over 2500 miles he had never checked any fluid levels. When I convinced him to change his oil, he found no fluid in any of the drive train components(not a drop) and the engine oil was low and nasty looking.

I'd say check the oil levels, sight in your gun and don't worry about it till you get back.

Best of luck on your hunt!

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
I'm guessing you already had the 20 hours service and as long as your running sythetic oil you should be good to go. My rule of thumb is 50 hours max on the engine oil and 100 on the other fluids except for the front gearbox....25 hours if rode hard and 50 if easy going. the front gearbox is where all the AWD magic takes place so it is the most vulnerable and sensitive spot in my opinion. I beat the every loving sh!t out of mine and as long and your fluid levels are good and the oil isn't black go for it. However, changing the engine oil yourself is about a 30 minute job (at least on an 850 XP) so it's cheap insurance. The more water and mud you ride in the more often you should change your fluids.

·
Registered
558 Posts
If I recall correctly manual states to change the oil at 25 hrs then not again until 100hrs? I'm not home so I can't check the manual but I would recommend sticking with the factory service schedule. Some items may not need to be changed such as spark plugs or other items but you at least need to check them over.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts