Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just joined the forum. I was hoping to contact some of the other scrambler xp owners because in the morning I will be taking mine back to the dealership for the second time under warrenty. Every time I get up to speed it throws check engine lights and I loose the display. The code reads as a "system voltage too high". Also, as on most Polaris sportsman models the foot brake sucks.

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Welcome to the board!:xmas:

·
Registered
392 Posts
I don't have a scrambler but i did get the same message on my 2011 Sportsman 850 X2 and had the same thing with the display shutting off. It was after a really hard freeze after we were out in the rain the day before. Not sure if maybe the battery froze or something but after I got back from my trip it has been working fine without kicking out any codes or check engine light. It has been working fine for a month but it hasn't been below freezing yet.

Let us know what they do to fix it!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Dropped it off and talked to the tech. Looks like they are just going to put a new regulator/rectifier in. It seems to be the most likely cause. The problem only seems to occcure above 70 mph. They are also going to look into the brake issue. On an incline I have no foot brake at all. But once I'm back on flat ground the foot brake has enough power to lock the tires and slide all the way around. I will let you guys know what I find out.

·
Registered
483 Posts
I have a sportsman xp and had the the voltage regulator not charging my bat when it was getting fixed the dealer who is great told me they had a lot of bad voltage regulators on the new mechines 12 and 13's . The regulators where on back order till Jan and that was in Nov have had no problems since its been fixed . Good luck I'm betting that will fix it .

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just a quick update. The regulators were on back order. So I continue to ride while I was waiting on parts. The problems got worse and worse I ended up blowing out a couple of bulbs. The regulator finally came in and I have not had any problems since but also have not been in an area where I can really rip on it. I will update if problems return.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Sounds like a Friday quad lol that sucks to hear your having problems with your new toy I kind of thought my foot brake sucked too it will lock the back tires up but only if I mash my foot to the floor I also think my fronts could be better too I feel like it could be more responsive

·
Registered
392 Posts
Just a quick update. The regulators were on back order. So I continue to ride while I was waiting on parts. The problems got worse and worse I ended up blowing out a couple of bulbs. The regulator finally came in and I have not had any problems since but also have not been in an area where I can really rip on it. I will update if problems return.
I haven't had the problem again yet either but I haven't been riding much either. I did however notice that my left head light is burnt out. I was wondering if the regulator could've caused that.

Let us know when you get it fixed. Did the dealership cover the bulbs too?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sorry it took so long to update. The new regulator has held up well. I ran it at 75mph (indicated not sure how accurate it is) for about three miles and didn't over voltage. The bulbs were directly related to the over voltage and covered by warrenty. However they HAD to be Polaris bulbs which ment ordering and a week wait. New problem is if I leave the quad on the truck and it stays below 10°F the starter just clicks. Gauges aren't dimmed like low battery. It's only happen twice. But I had to just keep clicking it again and again then it turned over strong. Kinda concerned that it could be ice in the starter. Guess its back to the dealer.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Had a bad regulator on my xp they had a bad run on them mine was on back order for like a month . Been fine since being replaced

·
Registered
166 Posts
Yep, just had my regulator replaced. Running high voltage, causing the power steering to not work, dash back lighting to quit and blew both low beams. Replaced by dealer, all better now.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Walker,
The dealer should have explained to you the the foot brake is not to be used by it self for braking. It is there to be used to hold the machine at idle or neutral, or as an emergency brake if the braking system fails. If you use the foot brake instead of the hand brake on a regular basis be prepared to replace the rear pads every 200 miles or so. I believe I read in the owners manual not to use the foot brake if the machine is in motion.

Personally, I don't think I have ever used mine.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So they put a foot brake on the machine but don't intend for you to use it. No as I stated the foot break was not working. It has been repaired. The book also says not to descend a hill greater than 15°. Are you telling me that you don't. That you would find another way around. (If you load on a truck with ramps you are way over the maximum angle.) Or would you just grab a handfull of front brake because the book said to. There are many instences inwhich you should use the foot brake while in motion. Some of us ride agressivly and need the ability to independently control braking. You are not going to wear a pad down in 200 miles unless you stand on the brake while riding by accident. This is my 4th Polaris purchased new. It is a piece of crap. None of the others have problems. Except for my 07 sportsman that also came with crapy foot brake. After a proper vacuum bleed the foot brakes work fine and as intended. That story about only holding in place is what salesmen tell people cause they can't figure out how to fix it.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Mines a 2010

·
Registered
483 Posts
Mine didn't charge the batt. But some where over charging and sending to much voltage to the batt. Ie lights speedo and everything else

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
I agree the foot brake is not to be used as the primary brake. The brake on the handlebars is like 60 front to 40 back. If I press my foot break hard on my XP it will almost send me over the handlebars. ADC is for decending hills greater than 15 degrees. It is better than a foot break.

Ronnie

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
He seems to have it all figured out Ronnie, I'll just leave it at that.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts