Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Polaris Sportsman 500 EFI
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I could have used steel plates and the Rotopax mounting system but I thought it looked ugly when not in use. I just changed the end bolts on my front cargo rack for 2.5" eyelet bolts. It holds my 2 two-gallon Rotopax cans very snug and won't look like crap when I'm not using the cans. $3 from Home Depot.

Jeff

·
Registered
264 Posts
Looks good. Have you rode with it on yet? Full of fuel of course. How does it hold up?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I took it out on a 60 mile ride with rock river beds, whoops and steep hills. Stayed firm!

Jeff

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Welcome to the board!

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Elegant solution!

Simple & effective - that's the way uhu uhu I like it!

Attachments

·
Registered
978 Posts
good idea i like it!

·
Super Moderator
7,049 Posts
But now it's ugly when it is in use... :)
I'm more of a function over fashion type, and no way would I trust a couple of bungies to hold my cans on. A sudden, abrupt stop, and those are coming right off the front end.
That is a great idea for tie downs though.

·
Registered
378 Posts
I would get rid of the bungee and use a small ratchet strap instead. Personally I wouldn't use this setup but if it works for you, great! With those eye bolts you can now safely tie down a trophy buck without that muther movin anywhere anytime soon! :)

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
But now it's ugly when it is in use... :)
I'm more of a function over fashion type, and no way would I trust a couple of bungies to hold my cans on. A sudden, abrupt stop, and those are coming right off the front end.
That is a great idea for tie downs though.
I was thinking the same thing..... not visually appealing while in use, and wouldn't trust 5 gallons of gasoline (~ 32 lbs.) to a couple of bungee straps.

But the tie down idea's are great...... may have to look into adding these to the wifes 2005.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
There is a large lip on the front of the cargo box that the cans are resting up against. I can lock 'em up or run head on into an object and these cans aren't going anywhere. They are snug!

I have some ideas for making detachable Rotopax mounts.

Jeff

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
One of the bungee cords popped off today. Live and learn. Going to try something else.

Jeff

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
Thanks for sharing and having the pride to share.....

·
Premium Member
10,361 Posts
One of the bungee cords popped off today. Live and learn. Going to try something else.

Jeff
Trial n error trial n error. I know u said u didn't want to go with the factory mounts because u didn't want to see them when u weren't carrying the cans. Honestly all that will be there is essentially a flat plate that will blend with ur rack. To me its something I wouldn't want to reinvent the wheel on. I was on a ride and carried a 4-gal roto for a friend, no mount just ratchet strapped. The roto still moved enough to really scuff my rear rack. Factory mount is the way Togo.

·
Registered
30 Posts
This is good info... we (Wife and I) are gonna pick up a couple XP's this spring along with the fuel packs. Seems like the factory mount is the way to go so far...

·
Registered
378 Posts

Jeff
Trial n error trial n error. I know u said u didn't want to go with the factory mounts because u didn't want to see them when u weren't carrying the cans. Honestly all that will be there is essentially a flat plate that will blend with ur rack. To me its something I wouldn't want to reinvent the wheel on. I was on a ride and carried a 4-gal roto for a friend, no mount just ratchet strapped. The roto still moved enough to really scuff my rear rack. Factory mount is the way Togo.

You are right! The "fixed" mount is the best way to go.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Try using a velcro strap similar to these
thru the handle on the rotopax and then thru your eyebolts. I have an older ATV w/o lock & ride and use straps like that on my hand hole on my front rack and the holes in the rotopax. It works great and nothing is in the way when I take the fuel packs off.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Here is what I did, I took the bolts that hold my metal strips on my box out, I turned them upside down, so bolt head is in box, then put a coupler nut on top of box.

I then used a steel plate and MDF board and built a rack with my Kolpin mounts put on it.

I drilled out the MDF board so the coupler nuts sit inside the board, this way it sits on the rack but also has some stability. I then use some flat head bolts with allen heads on them I drilled holes in the side of the MDF for storage when not in use. This way I just set it on the rack pull out the bolts and screw them into the coupler nuts.

Works pretty good the fuel pack is secure, I didn't have to drill into my box at all, plus when I pull it off I still can use my rack with no modifications at all.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts