Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We lost another ATVer here. This time it was an ice fisherman. They got disoriented in the dark and broke thru the ice at a pressure ridge. One guy made it out...the other didn't.
Please be careful out there guys!

·
Registered
2,845 Posts
Real sorry to hear that. Gotta be careful on the ice.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Agree with skizmo... Mustang floatation/survival suits are a must-have for anyone working or playing near cold water or ice.

I had to do a 500yd survival swim in mine. It won't keep you dry, but the suit "chambers" water and your body heat will quickly level out at a sustainable level. These suits, and other like them, save lives in maritime industries. What's more important for the ATVer that's going to ride on the ice? A new brush guard or set of tires? Or one of these suits?

At a minimum, at least wear what's called a "float coat". It will keep you afloat, and help keep your torso warmer until you can either self-rescue, or get rescued by someone else.

Prayers for the family.

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'll be out Saturday morning. Hopefully our stories will be about the one that got away.

Mustang Survival suit. Mine is blue with orange shoulders, And I know from experience it will keep you above water and warm.

Classic Flotation Suit MS-185
Looks like you have a nice ice fishing set-up there skizmo.

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
A couple of my buddies had a scare several years ago. They snowmobiled into a small reservoir at the foot of the mountains. They augured a hole in the ice.....No Water! The ice was about 10 feet above the water level. The level had gone down after the ice formed. They got the he!! off of there and went somewhere else to fish.

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
A couple of my buddies had a scare several years ago. They snowmobiled into a small reservoir at the foot of the mountains. They augured a hole in the ice.....No Water! The ice was about 10 feet above the water level. The level had gone down after the ice formed. They got the he!! off of there and went somewhere else to fish.
Gnarly shiet that is.. Worst I've seen it was about 2' below the ice, but the ice was 20" thick...Still freaky!! 10' below the water line even I'd be outta there.

Clinebo, So up here we have big lakes and what will happen is you'll be out fishing and the ice will break free from the bank and move with the wind. Its kinda freaky when you have to jump a gap or float to the other side to get off the ice...

Its so common here for guys to die on the lakes in the winter that its become "normal" and barely makes the 11 o'clock news.

Yea I'm setup pretty good, First year using my bike tho, usually I have a sled but I sold mine to buy a new Polaris rush 600R, But things came up and I am without a sled this year. My 550 is doing alright tho. pulled that hut in my avatar 2 kilometers in 8" of slush. then the trailer I use to haul my bike with our gear and three people.

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
Sorry to hear that Clinebo

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
Sorry to hear of this,.........went fishing there a lot in the early nineties.

RIP

·
Registered
993 Posts
Yes it's to bad this happened. I live about 100 miles from fort peck and heard about it right away in the morning as I had friends up there fishing and word spreads fast. Just hope alcohol wasn't a factor.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Sad to hear. I ice fish a lot and never wanna hear them stories.

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The weather here has been crazy. Cold, warm, rain, back to snow and cold.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts