Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 166 Posts

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be the first to tell what all my problems were. Please let everybody know if you have an 850 or 550 and what type of riding you do. My list will be the longest I am betting.

1600 miles- intake valves needed replaced
4600 miles- intake valves needed replaced
6200 miles- intake vales needed replaced again. Instead of just valves went with a new head and all the trimmings. Sent head to Dallas to be checked out and looks like seats were no cut correctly.

7500 miles-started drinking oil. Had new bore job with piston and rings

replaced 2 rear axles
replaced 2 front springs because one broke and I went with HD's

Replace right rear A Arm twice because the tab where the sway bar connects broke

New U joints on front and rear drive shaft

Rear bearings 4-5 times
Fronts bearings once

Numerous sets of brake pads
Numerous sets of ball joints

Right rear hub from where the bearings just fell to pieces and destroyed the hub

A Arm bushings 3 sets until I got the good ones from JC

Fixed oil leak at front diff with a new seal

This is on an 09 550 that I trailride with.

Ronnie

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
2013 scrambler xp

All a arm bushings and ball joints i think before 600 miles i now run JC's bushings with all balls ball joints. so far so good.

Rear a arm mounts on frame cracked at 6 months old. little over 600 miles

front part of frame broken on both sides, and needs a front u joint (think its worn out from the frame flexing being broken). 1450 miles.

Very good machine besides the frame issues ive had.

Lots of hard trail riding.

·
Super Moderator
7,150 Posts
2011 850 XP with 2,950 miles
Rock crawling, trail riding, no mudding or submarining.

1,700 miles replaced a arm bushings and brake pads.
1,900 miles timing chain tensioner broke resulting in complete engine being rebuilt.
2,100 miles frame broke just behind right rear transmission mount. Welded it and it's still fine.

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
You guys should add "current mileage" and "engine hours" also....

·
Registered
2016 Polaris Sportsman 1000 XP Hunter Edition
1,206 Posts
1457 miles NOT ONE PROBLEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reactions: Lakeman007

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
364 miles - needs left front upper ball joint.

·
Registered
33 Posts
2011 550EPS

1500 miles , trail and woods rides

Replaced eps relay @ 400 miles. 20dollar fixafter i had used pressure washer. No problem since. Great machines

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
2013 850 sportsman
700 miles fast Ditch and trail riding NO WATER OR MUD
never missed a beat

·
Registered
450 Posts
XP850 Touring, 400 miles, no issues.

Ride everything... Rocks, mud, creek/river crossings, trails, woods, snow/ice, and plenty of towing.

It's been worked hard at times, but I don't beat on it either. If I wanted to blow away $10k I'd find a better way to do it than ruining a quad.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Boy will this post bring in the trolls

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
2013 850xp 650 miles 45 hours, no issues.

·
Registered
2016 Polaris Sportsman 1000 XP Hunter Edition
1,206 Posts
Lol Indy lol:bam:

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
2012 550 eps with 80 hours. Only thing I had was an eps light but it went away after a little dielectric grease. 2010 550 X2 purchased it used. 145 hours on it. It needs a few suspension bushings. Besides that they both have been great machines so far.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
2012 850XP LE
-Replaced both front axles at 1000 miles. Probably my fault from jerking it side to side in a bit of a mud hole.
-had to remove fuel pump and reindex it to work at 1000 miles. Was wonky for a while but did it when I did the axles. Simply pulled out and reinserted.
-Had a erratic idle so TPS was replaced at 1600 miles

2012 850XP

-replaced front axles because I did the other ones and I ordered 4 at one time.
-no other issues at all whatsoever

I ride pretty much everything but normally the water and mud is only to the top of the wheels at most. Lots of fast trail and I ride it all year long. I have 120 hours on both of them now and would honestly do it again. I have two sets of JC's bushings and ball joints on the shelf ready to be put in but there is next to no play so not going to do it yet.

·
Registered
190 Posts
2013 850, currently got 1500 miles needs bushings, a ball joint, had to get the tps sensor changed at like 700 miles along with a belt

·
Registered
190 Posts
I will be the first to tell what all my problems were. Please let everybody know if you have an 850 or 550 and what type of riding you do. My list will be the longest I am betting.

1600 miles- intake valves needed replaced
4600 miles- intake valves needed replaced
6200 miles- intake vales needed replaced again. Instead of just valves went with a new head and all the trimmings. Sent head to Dallas to be checked out and looks like seats were no cut correctly.

7500 miles-started drinking oil. Had new bore job with piston and rings

replaced 2 rear axles
replaced 2 front springs because one broke and I went with HD's

Replace right rear A Arm twice because the tab where the sway bar connects broke

New U joints on front and rear drive shaft

Rear bearings 4-5 times
Fronts bearings once

Numerous sets of brake pads
Numerous sets of ball joints

Right rear hub from where the bearings just fell to pieces and destroyed the hub

A Arm bushings 3 sets until I got the good ones from JC

Fixed oil leak at front diff with a new seal

This is on an 09 550 that I trailride with.

Ronnie
I see u said u put 3 sets of a arm bushings before u got the good ones from Jc. What are u referring to? Because I'm about to order some in the next day or to and I wanna get the good ones. Thanks

·
Registered
274 Posts
2013 with 400ish miles, no issues. She will stall every once in a while when shifting gears back and forth when plowing.... Runs great otherwise....

·
Registered
270 Posts
Problems....most replies were, "no problems"or at the least something very minor, thats what I like to here as I am also with those that had "ZERO" issues thus far. Sorry about all your bad luck though. By the high mileage you put on, you might be better off with a Yamaha.
The rule of thumb that I have always gone by, ( if too many issues, jump ship, go to a different brand, :veryhappy:)

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Problems....most replies were, "no problems"or at the least something very minor, thats what I like to here as I am also with those that had "ZERO" issues thus far. Sorry about all your bad luck though. By the high mileage you put on, you might be better off with a Yamaha.
The rule of thumb that I have always gone by, ( if too many issues, jump ship, go to a different brand, :veryhappy:)
I have been thinking of that Rio. I have 9034 miles on the 550 and it is an 09 model. I can live with ball joints and brakes and stuff like that but the valve problem is what has really left a bad taste in my mouth. I should not have to replace valves on my dollar when Polaris knows about it and they refused to help at all. My value line 500X2 has been bulletproof and it has a 1000 miles more on it and the only time it has ever saw a dealer was when i bought it off the showroom floor.

Ronnie

1 - 20 of 166 Posts