Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Sportsman 450 year 2020.
It occurred to me in a steep descent that the Engine didn’t slow me down, but rather it slipped into Neutral and raced me downhill. I pressed the brakes for dear life.
What could I have done if the brakes failed at that moment ?

·
Registered
405 Posts
Aim for a soft spot. If you don’t have engine braking or ADC then you need to rely on your brakes.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you McCarthy,
The clutch indeed slipped and freed the wheels.
The Lord almighty saved me this time.
I need to opt for an ADC model.

·
Premium Member
10,222 Posts
Jump!!

·
Registered
405 Posts
So it doesn’t look like the 450 is available with ADC (active decent control) or EBS (engine braking system). In that case you need to rely solely on your brakes at all times.

·
Premium Member
1,797 Posts
Bubble wrap.....

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you McCarthy,
The clutch indeed slipped and freed the wheels.
The Lord almighty saved me this time.
I need to opt for an ADC model

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you 98whitelightnin
Swapping two way bearing to one way,
I will ask qualified technician
I’m not mechanic
That’s a good point
Helpful
I hope We can do it.

·
Premium Member
2015 Sportsman XP 1000 LE Touring
111 Posts
Get a parachute, like drag racing cars? ;-)
(Just a joke!)

·
Premium Member
2015 Sportsman XP 1000 LE Touring
111 Posts
Ya in all seriousness if the brakes completely failed and you couldn't ride it out, just jump.
Very true, in Michigan, I pay <$30/month for full coverage... ($500 deduct) If ever a doubt, bail.

·
Registered
27 Posts
WOW seems the cost more ea year and you get less ,following this forum it sure appears the older models were a lot tuffer than the fancy new stuff and safer ~~~~~

·
Registered
3 Posts
Use your hand brake not your foot brake. The hand brake is front and rear. Your foot is just rear. If you use your rear only you tend to skid and not stop. I had a machine with ADC and EBS loved it for single technical riding. Hated it for two up riding it was to harsh for the rider on the back it stops so Suddenly. This new machine I opted not to get it. I miss it when I ride alone but my wife on the back loves the way this new machine is.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a Sportsman 450 year 2020.
It occurred to me in a steep descent that the Engine didn’t slow me down, but rather it slipped into Neutral and raced me downhill. I pressed the brakes for dear life.
What could I have done if the brakes failed at that moment ?
There nothing wrong with your ATV. Its a love or hate thing. Polaris 450 will free wheel when you don't give it gas. They do have good brakes though to slow you down. Try putting it in 4 low and barely give it gas so the transmission will stay engaged.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts