Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just put larger tires (SunF 26x11x12 and 26x9x12) on my 2017 Sportsman 570 touring. The Front tie rod ends are dangerously close to the inside of the tires and the rear tires rub on the rear bracket that supports the rear section of the footwell. I spoke to the a guy at the dealer and he recommended NOT putting spacers and/or lift kit on machine. He recommended going back to 25’s, which I would rather not do. he also mentioned that a lift and/or spacers would be hard on the matching and would void my warranty.... which is already out anyways. I’m not opposed to doing either spacers or lift kit. Has anyone had any issues with this? And if so, do you recommend any specific brands of lift kits or spacers?

·
Registered
2017 Sportsman 850SP
856 Posts
Anytime you change the geometry from stock you will run into some problems. The larger tires will cause more wear and tear on your drive system, clutch, bushings, etc. If you put a lift, you increase the angle of the axles which could lead to premature failure. Spacers will put more stress on your wheel bearings which come with no grease in them from the dealer as it is. But if you live by those “fears” of breaking something, then you won’t have any fun. You shouldn’t have any issues going up to a 2” lift or adding 1” spacers, but you may need to replace an axle or wheel bearing. No big deal. I say lift it, clear the tires you want and have fun. If you blow an axle one day, get some HD replacements and never look back.

·
Premium Member
3,032 Posts
I’d consider Delta Steel wheels 4+3 offset and all those issues are gone. I’m really surprised your Dealership didn’t recommend 4+3 wheels! Btw -I’d stay away from wheel spacers.

·
Registered
19’ 850SP Camo. MtAiry Maryland
889 Posts
I’m not sure I see the difference between adding positive offset with a new wheel versus a spacer. I would think a 1” spacer would be safe. I could be wrong, I’m not an expert.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Copy all! I’ll take all of these responses into consideration, do some more research and make a well informed decision using advise from friends and all of your comments. I’m glad to be part of this forum and I’m sure I will post more questions and respond positively to the ones that I think I can add to. Thanks you all for responding so quickly. Happy Riding!

·
Premium Member
3,032 Posts
Polaris(Value Line)hubs are hub centric and not lug centric. The tabs on the hubs aren’t there for looks. When you add spacers “all” of the weight is transferred through lugs that weren’t designed to carry that weight. I thought about it when I went up in tire size, even put them on until I looked at it. I even called Polaris and they confirmed hubs are hub centric.
733A7F89-5E62-4A8F-8761-26F77E088040.jpeg
Look how spacers hold you off the tab. Yes the spacer is on the tabs but the wheel isn’t. All the weight is on lugs!

·
Registered
19’ 850SP Camo. MtAiry Maryland
889 Posts
Polaris hubs are hub centric and not lug centric. The tabs on the hubs aren’t there for looks. When you add spacers “all” of the weight is transferred through lugs that weren’t designed to carry that weight. I thought about it when I went up in tire size, even put them on until I looked at it. I even called Polaris and they confirmed hubs are hub centric. View attachment 140986 Look how spacers hold you off the tab. Yes the spacer is on the tabs but the wheel isn’t. All the weight is on lugs!
Ahh, I see that now, my 850 isn’t like that. Learn something new everyday. Perfect explanation and pic, appreciate it 😀

1 - 8 of 8 Posts