Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a '11 sportsman XP 550 for my son. The bike only has 600 miles on it and came with a lift already installed and 29.5 outlaw 2's on it. Bike appears in really good shape, but on riding less than 2 miles had front axle pop, frustrating, but guy I bought from readily replaced it for me with a new one. After we put the new axle in, first thing we did was remove the lift from the front easily, much better handling and a ton better on the axles. The next thing I need to do is prolly replace the ball joints as now the tires have tow in them? Am I right on this? Also, I need some help figuring out the rear lift? How do I get it off? Do I have to replace a arms back to stock? And also we rode this weekend with no apparent issues until upon cleaning yesterday, I noticed that the stabilizer or sway bar bracket that is attached to the rear right a arm had broken into, looking at this reveals that it was apparently already cracked as metal was rusted and can clearly see where it just finally gave up. Any answers or advice would be appreciated since it has been a long time since I was up on the atv fads and all the new things that can be done to them, I also am not made of money and can't afford to be constantly fixing or repairing things. I know downsizing the tires is something that needs to be done. Thanks in advance

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Not sure about the sway bar but I can tell you that with those tires and depending on what type of riding you do that you will be breaking more front axles in the future. I went with Rhino's and have no issues but it seems that Cobra, Turners and Gorilla's are even tougher. It is a combination of the size of the tire, the size of the axle and the torque that these motors put out. Also EPS and lifts contribute to the breaking of axles due to the changing of the angles that they connect into the wheels. It also is not a manufactures defect as they will last forever if you drive them on trails.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I'm going to downsize the tires definitely, we ride trails and kids love the water and mud holes, I was just wondering about the rear lift and sway bar bracket attached, also about the front tires towing inward at the top, thanks for your reply, most people I've talked to have had good luck with the rhino axles, and I can't see paying close to $500 a piece for the turners, ect. Maybe worth it though.

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Welcome to the board.

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
......I noticed that the stabilizer or sway bar bracket that is attached to the rear right a arm had broken into, looking at this reveals that it was apparently already cracked as metal was rusted and can clearly see where it just finally gave up.....
Should be able to remove the a-arm, clean the area up and weld the crack. I would then fabricate a plate to go over the hole and weld it on. That or find a used a-arm and replace yours

·
Registered
737 Posts
Most of the lifts on the xp line come with new rear a arms. If the rear a arm is arched, not straight like the front you will need to find a set of stock rear a arms to remove the lift. The lift is built into the arch of the a arm. Hope this helps. If this isn't clear maybe google xp lift in images and that might show you the difference in the lower rear a arms.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the replies, found it is the rear a arms, and have a friend that has a set, now need to trade out the 29.5's for some 28's!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts