Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys first time poster here. Wondering if there was a specific led light bar you would recommend for a 2006 Sportsman 500 with a front brush guard. I've spent way too much time dealing with the awful customer service of KC and I've seen that you guys are much more useful. Let me know what you guys think.

·
Registered
295 Posts
How much do you want to spend?

Rigid Industries 10" SR2 Driving configuration would be my first recommendation. But use, and price limit need to be expanded upon a bit

·
Registered
860 Posts
The two biggest questions are size and $$$, how big and how much you looking to spend....

Ryan @ RVSPERFORMANCE has some great deals going on Sirius Light Bars...

If not I went with a bar from SuperBrightLEDS.com 10" Single Row 5W CREE 5500LUMENS for $149.99 with lifetime warranty!!!

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
We've still go the 6" standard Sirius bars at $72 shipped with coupon code LED10 in the states till midnight tonight. 3W double row cree with combo flood/spot and about 3000 lumens with 3 year warranty. Tough to beat!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Appreciate the responses guys. I'm willing to spend probably no more than $225-$250 if that helps. Another question I have is do these bars you're recommending come with the wiring harnesses and everything needed for mounting?

·
Registered
860 Posts
Yes! Harnesses a must!! You can find many different mounting options!! Cradle, post mounts and all others!!

·
Registered
215 Posts
I ordered the one from rvs for $72. It comes with mounting feet and a 9 ft lead I believe. I also ordered a waterproof switch. I still have to decide for me if I will wire to come on with reverse or just on the switch and wether to wire thru a relay or not. I use for plowing and want it as a backup light. Probably overkill but I can always move to the front if it's too bright

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
295 Posts
The things I'll recommend you look for-
#1, Lifetime Warranty
#2, Wiring harness (If you're not highly knowledgable in electrical)
#3, Reflector design.

Some of the models out there have seriously piss poor reflectors. Attempt to do some research on the different brands and look for side by side photos of "brand B" vs Rigid Industries. RI is basically the "gold standard". If the beam consistency, concentration and dispersion don't look like total hell when viewed next to an RI, then it might be worth a shot.

For $225-$250, you can have some nice lights, even if they aren't RI lights. I wish I could recommend a couple brands, but I haven't looked into it that much in terms of what other brands are worth buying; only in terms of showing a difference in quality reflectors, lenses and optics vs cheap. So I know the comparisons are out there, I've seen them... but I haven't taken not of what brands did well and what ones didn't.

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
The standard series just comes with a lead and a bare pair of wires coming out of it to connect to a switch. The 6" is only 36 watts. No need fro a relay for that. Even the 20" won't need one. Bigger than that and I would recommend a relay.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Look up, check out SuperBrightLED, lifetime warranty and great service!!!

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
The things I'll recommend you look for-
#1, Lifetime Warranty
#2, Wiring harness (If you're not highly knowledgable in electrical)
#3, Reflector design.

Some of the models out there have seriously piss poor reflectors. Attempt to do some research on the different brands and look for side by side photos of "brand B" vs Rigid Industries. RI is basically the "gold standard". If the beam consistency, concentration and dispersion don't look like total hell when viewed next to an RI, then it might be worth a shot.

For $225-$250, you can have some nice lights, even if they aren't RI lights. I wish I could recommend a couple brands, but I haven't looked into it that much in terms of what other brands are worth buying; only in terms of showing a difference in quality reflectors, lenses and optics vs cheap. So I know the comparisons are out there, I've seen them... but I haven't taken not of what brands did well and what ones didn't.
#3 is HUGE in the lighting world. The Sirius pro series lights are almost identical to Rigid. Built with almost all the same parts in the same building. Look at some pictures of them side by side. Exactly the same. Only difference is the reflectors. Rigid reflectors are typically 96% efficient or better. The Sirius Pro are 94%. Most Chinese lights, even with CREE or Omron LEDs in them use poor quality reflectors. You can take 2 lights with the same LEDs in them, same wattage, and same lumen ratings and get completely different lighting. 15,000 lumens projected at 94% is 14,100 lumens being sent out of the fixture. 15,000 in a poorly designed fixture that only sends out 80% or less is a difference of 2,100+ lumens. And the lower output is usually less focused for even worse quality of light. Just because they are really bright to look into, doesn't mean they are lighting the path in front of you very well.

Lifetime warranty isn't a huge deal in general. Think about it. 30,000 or 50,000 hours is the most typical LED life span. How many years do you think it would take to put that on your machine, or multiple machines if you transferred it?? And how much do you ride at night compared to the day where you would actually be using it? 10% maybe at best? You will almost never wear one out under warranty. It's more of a peace of mind thing. But if you burn up a $60 light in2 years, are you going to return it or just buy another one? A $600 light you will likely take the time to get repaired or replaced.

·
Registered
962 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts