Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got my 2019 sportsman 570. Installed my plow tonight and plowed a ton of snow! We got 20" over the last 2 days. I just plowed probably 10" and I dont get why people say the stock tires are garbage!

But anyways, when the plow is up the low beams shine on the back of it. I have heard of a 3 light mod. And no reverse lights! What do you guys do dor reverse lights? led pods/bars?

The headlights dim when I put plow up. Stock battery no good? Any way to fix this? Would just a new higher end battery do it?

·
Registered
5,052 Posts
The lights are going to dim when you use the winch - the charging system is operating at a loss at idle (no charge going to the battery below 2500 RPM engine speed) so the winch sucks amperage from the battery - it takes about 15 minutes of engine operation above 2500 RPM to replenish the charge removed from the battery starting the engine and a 20 second use of the winch. If you don'r already have one, you need to get a 1.25 amp automatic Battery Tender battery charger and connect it to the battery when finished using the wheeler to maintain a full charge on the battery.. It is also a good idea to plug the batter tender into an outlet timer so it does not operate for more than about 4 hour per 24 hour period. Although the tender reduces it's charge rate to 1/10 of an amp at the end of it's charging cycle, 1/10 of an amp over a long enough period of time can still damage a small battery.

·
Registered
195 Posts
For our machines that are exclusivly used on snow and normally at night, we added a square tube pole with lights mounted to it that was head hieght or taller (give or take). These worked so well, you could work with the normal lights off and we only used LED ones that draw so, so little. Ask if you'f like photos.

·
Premium Member
3,636 Posts
For our machines that are exclusivly used on snow and normally at night, we added a square tube pole with lights mounted to it that was head hieght or taller (give or take). These worked so well, you could work with the normal lights off and we only used LED ones that draw so, so little. Ask if you'f like photos.
I would like to see photos!

·
Registered
195 Posts
We just had one forward and one rewards. Some of these machines just had one rear light, but we later added a front ones as well. These are purly work machines..
Griz drags CR.jpg

·
Registered
5,052 Posts
LED's when first invented used very little power, but today's POWER LED's consume as much or more power than a 100 watt Halogen bulb.

A 100 watt Halogen operating at 12 volts DC draws appx. 8.3 amps

I randomly selected a 22" rectangular two row LED Light Bar listed for Polaris Ranger, Razor and multiple universal applications. It is rated at 280 watts which means it consumes appx. 23 amps.

The typical stator on a Polaris Ranger is rated at 660 watts at 3000 RPM, but the stator produces AC voltage which fluctuates with RPM - at 3000 rpm it's open circuit voltage is 40 volts or higher The higher the voltage the lower the amperage, but watts is heat, so it is capable of dissipating 660 watts. If the voltage is 50 at 3000 RPM then the current flowing in the windings is 13.2 amps per phase - the rectifier converts AC into DC and there is 13 amps DC available at a maximum of 14.8 volts - that's 192 watts to run the lights and charge the battery.

See a problem here? The light bar is drawing 23 amps and the battery needs 1.5 amps to charge and the rectifier is supplying 13 amps. Where's the other 10 amps the LED's need come from? The battery is going dead while you are driving.

This explanation is over simplified and an electrical engineer would need 10 pages of text to basically say the same thing, but to be accurate would require graphs and tables for the various combinations of engine speed, AC voltage, battery load, battery condition, wire temperature, battery temperature, ambient air temperature and a multitude of other variables.

Let it suffice to say; just because you are replacing an incandescent bulb with an LED, you are not necessarily saving energy and improving the electrical system. You have to compare the power consumption of each device.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Its pretty easy to find what any light consumes. No stators died on the machines we used. On ATV's we typically added three LED lights. No light bars.

·
Premium Member
3,636 Posts
Thank you for the photos!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So are you saying I cant add rear leds? Can I get a higher output stator? Like a bigger altenator on a plow truck?

·
Registered
195 Posts
Its very unlikely that a larger stator would be available. Nonetheless, you can still add a few low draw lights.

So are you saying I cant add rear leds? Can I get a higher output stator? Like a bigger altenator on a plow truck?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts