Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1999 Sportsmna 500 that I just got done rebuilding. Anyways before rebuilding and after, while driving with the lights on at night after a couple of minutes of running, the lights and speedo just shut off for about 20 seconds then everything turns back on. The machine doesn't die or anything just the lights a gauge pod. Anyone have an idea of what it could be? it does it consistently. Could it be something like a loose ground somewhere or a stator problem? I'm lost here. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
Sounds like it might be time for a circuit breaker.

·
8,737 Posts
I'd guess 4getful is on the right track. Probably the circuit breaker in the Polaris innovative designed "stay wet" plastic pouch if it goes off and on at regular intervals.:hmmm:

·
8,737 Posts
LOL...yep TJ, I sometimes wonder what they teach in engineer schools. Seems like sometimes theory gets in the way of common sense and the designers end up outsmarting themselves.
I would agree with you too that it could be a bad ground but he said it does it "consistently" which sounds more like a breaker kicking in and out. Of course it could also be a short somewhere causing it to do that too. Those electrical gremlins can sometimes be a real pain to chase down.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
If its not the breaker then i would suggest that its time for some new fireflies. :bee:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the tips guys. Guess i'll cut that plastic pouch thing and check it out. Worst case scenario I'm not gonna worry about it too much as I don't do much night riding anyways. I'll update once I figure it out.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts