Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I'm looking for a nice replacement tire and rim package that will shed some rotating mass, and handle better. The stock 489 tires seem to be light, but the stock steel rims can't be? I know most people on here put on heavier tires and bigger mud tires, but I don't need those. I'm not a mud runner, just a trail cruiser. Northern Michigan is a loose sandy type soil where most of my riding will be done. Any tips or suggestions I would appreciate, thanks a bunch.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Bighorn 2.0's are pretty light in the grand scheme of things. i imagine any 12" aluminum wheel will help shed some mass too.

·
Registered
815 Posts
I would not run them. We had them on our rhino back in 2005 and they blew out a sidewall on the first ride. We bought a new one. They would not hold air due to the constant punctures on the trails.
IMO there are much better tires out there.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Look at the CST Abuzz tires. I have a set of those aswell as bighorn 2.0's. Light weight and great traction.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I had Mudlites on a brute force I used to have and I absolutely hated them. There is a reason people refer to them as "pluglites" I had quite a few punctures. I along with a couple people I ride with have had great luck with Maxxis Zillas. They are very light weight. You wouldn't think it to look at them but they ride very smooth. They also have great traction in just about any terrain.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
Do NOt Get MUD Lites..i have some on my suzuki...all the side walls have cracks..I had to tube them all...they get a flat running over dog sh!t...

as Pooksy said look at them tires ..wont break the bank..and they look good....tires are like Ice cream..so many flavors

·
Registered
33 Posts
My next tire will be Maxxis Zillas. If you go with stock tire sizes, they are actually a bit lighter than the Carlisle tires on our 570's...

·
Registered
619 Posts
There's a ton of great tires out there, but you're going to have a hard time finding a tire and wheel combo that's lighter than what you already have. the stock tires are pretty light. Even if you find some slightly lighter ones, I don't think that shedding 2lb each is going to be noticeable driving-wise. I went up to bighorn 2.0's, which are only a few pounds heavier than the stock tires, and I really didn't notice a difference, even on my 400. I don't think that buying a whole new tire/wheel set (~$800) is going to be worth the little or no difference it'll make weight-wise. Now, if you're looking for better traction, then that's a whole different story and its definitely worth the investment. But traction/puncture-resistance/reliability usually means a heavier tire.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts