Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Premium Member
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Today I finally did all the fluid/air change maintenance on my 2008 PS 500 HO EFI Touring. This afternoon started it up and went for little ride on the property, not even a mile. As I was pulling into the driveway to my shop the ATV started feeling sluggish and then just died, WTH now.

It will start up idle just fine, but soon as you put it into gear then give it a little throttle it just dies. I tried limping it back into the shop with out any luck, ended up having to push it in there. Also got a couple flashes of check engine on the display and noticed one time I believe it said "WAIT" on the display, IDK on that for sure.

I let it set for little bit and started it up again seemed to be running fine, I backed out of the shop and put it in (L) gear giving it just a little throttle and then it just bogged down and died. This time I did manage to keep it running enough to limp it back into the shop with out having to push it.

I checked the battery because I've read weird things can happen on these EFI machines if the battery is to low on voltage. With ATV not running battery show's 13.2 volts, then I checked it from idling - 3400 rpm showed a constant 14.3 volts on my multimeter, this was in PARK and in N positions. Got any ideas what's going on with my machine? I've owned this 08 PS 500 EFI for about a month now with very little riding and this happens this afternoon after my maintenance. This is the first EFI I've ever owned.

Tony

·
Premium Member
7,477 Posts
Did you wash it? Maybe something got wet?!?!?

·
Premium Member
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
latebird I've been suspecting that possibly the fuel pump is going out all day long. Something to think about while I was mowing all day. I have no idea how to check fuel pressure on this EFI, this is my first one.

bp405 No wash job, I just changed the oil/oil filter, new air filter,new front DD diff fluid,and changed out the AGL trans fluid. One good thing about it breaking down on me it happened with in about 10 foot of my shop door instead of out in the field. :smile

I tried this afternoon to see if any codes would come up, but apparently I'm doing something wrong, because I get nothing coming up. Here's what I do per the owners manual instructions. It says place trans in PARK .Stop the engine (I tried with engine running then turn it off then back on and also just turning the switch to on then off with engine not running to start with).

Turn the key switch to ON position.

Turn the key switch off and on three times in less than five seconds. The word "WAIt" will appear on the screen.

I get no "WAIt" showing on the screen at all, just my regular display of my mileage,clock,or RPM whatever sequence it's in at the time I try. I bet I tried it at least a dozen times with no luck getting into the code sequence section to check for error codes. :sad

Also this afternoon I started up the ATV and increased the throttle just a little bit, it would hold a higher RPM like in the 2400-2500 RPM range and would not come back down to idle when I released the the throttle. I had to slightly fan the throttle to make it come down to regular idle RPM range which on mine is showing 1170-1190 RPM at idle.

Tony

·
Premium Member
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm with Latebird, sounds fuel related. Do we have fuel filters on these quads?
Mine has a metal fuel filter and it's located toward the front of the ATV. I'm guessing it's the original one from the factory, I received no maintenance records when I bought the ATV about a month ago.

According to the owners manual I believe it says to change fuel filter out around a 1000 miles or it may be greater mileage than that, I don't remember for sure. My odometer has 776 miles showing, so I didn't mess with changing that fuel filter out this time.

Tony

·
Premium Member
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I called my local Polaris dealership this morning to see if my part I ordered last week came in (oem work light switch). Partsman said by Friday, anyway I ask them about doing a diagnostic test on my PS 500 HO EFI to see what the problem was. Service manager what's it doing, I told him and I said I suspect the in tank fuel pump is on it's way out, not for sure on that.

He sure was wanting me to bring it in to them lol. I told him all I wanted was a price for the diagnostic test and he quoted me $160.00 USD just to tell me what's wrong with it. I told him I will try to figure out first what the fuel pressure is before I do anything.

I talked to a mechanic buddy of mine this morning also and he is supposed to come by late this evening with his pressure gauge and we'll see if we can figure out what we need to do then to get a pressure reading.

Service manager would not tell me where to connect pressure gauge, but from the looks of the picture in the service manual you can connect where the fuel line connects to the fuel rail. Figuring out a good connector may be the problem though, we'll see.

I looked in the service manual and it's saying a fuel pressure of 39+3 psi for my 08 PS 500 HO EFI.

Tony

·
8,877 Posts
I don't think that machine has a Schrader valve to test from like some models. If not, you gotta T in for the gauge between the fuel rail and supply line. If you pull the tank to replace the pump and regulator you might as well change the in-line filter too while its easy to get to. Be sure to pour a little fuel in the new filter to wet it before installing to prevent the filter from possibly tearing internally on initial fuel priming.

·
Premium Member
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Well my mechanic buddy finally got time and showed up today so we could do a pressure test on the 500 fuel pump. The bummer part was he did not bring any connectors such as a T so we could check fuel pressure with ATV running. Just with key on pump going it was showing 42 psi. He said he would have to rig up something next week and come back by so we can check it running and increase the RPM to check pressure.

The ATV starts right up and idles good, I'll back out the shop put it in forward gear take off made couple rounds in the yard and then just like you run out of gas it bogs down and dies when I go to really give it the throttle. Then it will start right back up, you then start to give it throttle and if you give it to much it will bog and die again. I had to feather the throttle to get it back into the shop. So we still have not ruled out a bad fuel pump.

We pulled the metal fuel filter off and check it for blockage, nothing, seemed to be good and clear. The gas looked weird though, it was really yellow looking,but smelled like real good gas. He asked me if it had much gas in the tank when I bought it and I said yes between 1/2-3/4 full but I topped it off to full. He said it might be some kind of additive the previous owner put in making it real yellow looking IDK. We just drained the tank and put in fresh gas, ATV still doing the same bogs down and dies with fresh gas. Just trying to rule out other culprits that it could be.

Could that 42 psi fuel pressure reading be a false reading? I'm guessing maybe anything under 39 psi would cause the ATV to bog down, IDK.

Was able to get the blink codes to come up and the only codes it was showing besides # 12 start code and # 61 end codes, was # 41 Air Temp Sensor Low/High Voltage and # 47 IAC Stepper Motor Open Load or Short-to-ground.

Tony

·
Premium Member
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I talked to my neighbor across the street last night briefly, he works for HISUN ATV/SXS .He told me those two codes #41 and #47 may be my problem causing it to shut down on me.

I don't know this is my first go around with a EFI machine. I did a little research last night on those two codes and it's like greek to me, people talking about splicing into wiring and such, I didn't like reading that part, lol. I may end up having to take this thing to someone who knows what they are doing. I guess I'm just use to the old carb machines that I could work on. I hope it does not turn into a nightmare money pit. :sad

Tony

·
Registered
76 Posts
What about the tank vent? Ride it till it acts up again and then open up the fill cap just enough to let it vent and see if that changes anything, if it starts running better its most likely the tank vent.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

·
8,877 Posts
What about the tank vent? Ride it till it acts up again and then open up the fill cap just enough to let it vent and see if that changes anything, if it starts running better its most likely the tank vent.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
EFI machines don't have a vented cap.

·
Premium Member
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ok finally rigged up a test to check fuel pressure while riding the ATV today. At idle it's at 41-42 psi, you increase the RPM's all the way up to 3500-4000 RPM still holding 41-42 psi fuel pressure. We let it set there and run idling for 5-7 minutes still holding pressure 41-42 psi.

I backed it out of the shop I had the fuel pressure gauge mounted on handlebars so I could watch it and made about 5 rounds circling the yard still holding a constant 41-42 psi fuel pressure. About between that 4th-5th round operating it, it started the same thing like it was running out of fuel and started bogging down I'm watching the gauge it's still at 41-42 psi fuel pressure while that bogging down is happening. It finally dies with key switch still on, it dropped to 39 psi fuel pressure after it completely died, and it held at 39 psi with key switch on.

The service manual for my 2008 year model is saying maintaining 39+3 psi fuel pressure. On a side note, I pulled the battery yesterday and took it to Autozone to have a load test done,it passed. My battery is showing any where from 12.8-13.2 v with ATV not running and with ATV running it's from idling-3500 RPM showing 14.14v charging on the multimeter.

I left the battery disconnected both Pos and Neg cables over night to possibly see if the blink codes would clear. They did not still have blink code #41 which is Air Temp Sensor low/high voltage and blink code #47 IAC Stepper Motor: Open Load or Short-to-Ground. That's the only codes I've found. Could this #47 Stepper Motor be causing my problem of it shutting down and how do I test that if it is?

I guess what ever it is, is once that it get's good and warmed up it's shutting the ATV down. Fuel pressure is showing to be good from my understanding,what do you guys think?

Now what to check? HELP LOL!

Tony

·
Premium Member
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Did you check to see if it had spark while dying?
No Steve we did not. I have not even checked the spark plug yet,thinking all along up until yesterday that my problem was going to be fuel related. We both said after the fuel pressure test well it must be something electrical causing it to shut down. My friend auto mechanic had to be some where else after the pressure test so we didn't look at the ATV anymore.

I was thinking last night could it be the spark plug that possibly got like a hair line cracked insulator and when it get's real hot causing the problem, IDK. I would probably not get that lucky anyway being just a messed up spark plug, lol. I'm planning on looking at the spark plug today or tomorrow and will go ahead and just replace it.

Tony

·
Registered
71 Posts

·
Premium Member
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
The code 47 link you provided I had read through it once before,but the code 41 link you provided that's the first time I've seen that one.

When I first start up my 500 there is no "check engine" displayed on the screen. When it starts to bog down on me riding and die's after maybe a 5- 10 minute ride I have seen a momentary quick flash of "check engine" display at times.

It's kind of weird the very first time the ATV acted up about a week ago it was like it was monetary showing the word WAIT on the display and "check engine quick flashed on display a couple times. Now when I do the on/off ignition switch three times blink codes "WAIT" never appears like the instruction in the manual say's it will,but the "check engine" icon will display and do the blink codes. It's starts check engine flash of 12-41-47-61 codes and then it's done, it shows no display of the word END when it's through with the code sequence.

The #41 or #47 may very well be the whole problem, IDK yet. As stated above I'm going to change out the spark plug for a rule out because I've never checked it yet, thinking all along I had a fuel related problem to start with.

Actually last Friday I called a local ATV mechanic here local that I've known of a couple people using, I don't know the guy myself. I told him what it was doing and first thing he said was check you fuel pressure that Polaris is known for fuel pump issues. Then he started pulling that Polaris dealership B.S. that if it is the fuel pump you will have to replace it with the full tank assembly for around $734.00 bucks. I said well a lot of people are only replacing just the fuel pump,regulator,strainer for around $80 bucks with good luck, and he started that "oh well those are just cheap Chinese fuel pumps they will go out on you pretty quick you need to stick with OEM".

I was wanting to say well apparently Polaris is using the same cheap Chinese fuel pumps for their supplier of OEM because there is a problem there,but I said nothing to him. Think about it you replace the whole fuel tank assembly for $700 plus bucks and couple years later the fuel pump goes out again and you have to repeat that according to Polaris,that's B.S. and nothing but a money maker deal the way I see it.

Tony

1 - 20 of 39 Posts