Polaris ATV Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
The Chevy doesn’t have the multi folding tailgate but it is aluminum. My 2016 was steel.

·
Premium Member
7,667 Posts
I'm with you OP my most practical option is loading in the back of the pick/up. I prefer that method over the others.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Fords are all aluminum, including tailgate. Current commercial shows Sportsman 570 climbing up ramp and in. The weight is never just on tailgate, even when both wheels are on ramp at least half the weight is on ramp bottom touching ground.

·
Premium Member
7,667 Posts
Fords are all aluminum, including tailgate. Current commercial shows Sportsman 570 climbing up ramp and in. The weight is never just on tailgate, even when both wheels are on ramp at least half the weight is on ramp bottom touching ground.
Exactly!!!

·
Registered
201 Posts
+1
I've got a F150 with aluminum bed and tailgate.

I've have a 1000# bag of sand sitting on my tailgate, various pallets of mortar, concrete, and grout. And, a fatass on a quad (me) many times.

No issues.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
772 Posts
In the past 20 years we've been thru 40 trucks at work. Dodge 1/2 ton to ram 5500. Chevys up to 3500 including a top kick, and ford 150 to 550.

They all break down.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
True! Lemons and cherries with all. Including Atv’s.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I’ve always loaded up my Sportsman 400 in my 2016 Silverado short bed without a second thought for years. Now I’m looking at a new 2020 Silverado and I’m wondering if their new weight saving aluminum tailgate is up to the task. I can’t seem to find any information on weight capacity anywhere. I know it’s the cables that take the brunt of the stress. I v found that the new GMC multi gate has a limit of around 400#. Anyone have any experience wit the new Chevy? Thanks
I’ve always loaded up my Sportsman 400 in my 2016 Silverado short bed without a second thought for years. Now I’m looking at a new 2020 Silverado and I’m wondering if their new weight saving aluminum tailgate is up to the task. I can’t seem to find any information on weight capacity anywhere. I know it’s the cables that take the brunt of the stress. I v found that the new GMC multi gate has a limit of around 400#. Anyone have any experience wit the new Chevy? Thanks
I've got a 2019 GMC w/ Multi-Pro Tailgate. I load my Sportsman 450HO using arched aluminum ramps; GM says drop center portion down and place ramps on actual tailgate, not step sections. I tip scales at around 280#. ABSOLUTELY NO PROBLEM! Love both the Jimmy and Polaris!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
I've got a 2019 GMC w/ Multi-Pro Tailgate. I load my Sportsman 450HO using arched aluminum ramps; GM says drop center portion down and place ramps on actual tailgate, not step sections. I tip scales at around 280#. ABSOLUTELY NO PROBLEM! Love both the Jimmy and Polaris!
I looked at the GMC and my ramps being 48” apart would be right on top of the fold down section. It didn’t seem strong enough for that latch to hold all that weight. Could put something across the span I guess.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Unlikely you'll ever max out the load for the tailgate. They are checked and rated for direct load bearing....Loading an atv in the back of a truck, you're never even completely at half the machine weight when loading being applied to the tailgate.....If I can set a fully assembled BBC (700+ lbs) along with other stuff directly on one without fail, your atv won't be an issue....and yes, I've done it......

21 - 33 of 33 Posts