Polaris ATV Forum banner

Loading Ramps on my new aluminum tailgate.

9K views 32 replies 10 participants last post by  Alaskaracer 
#1 ·
I’ve always loaded up my Sportsman 400 in my 2016 Silverado short bed without a second thought for years. Now I’m looking at a new 2020 Silverado and I’m wondering if their new weight saving aluminum tailgate is up to the task. I can’t seem to find any information on weight capacity anywhere. I know it’s the cables that take the brunt of the stress. I v found that the new GMC multi gate has a limit of around 400#. Anyone have any experience wit the new Chevy? Thanks

#2 ·
From what I recall the tailgates are in the neighborhood of 300-500 pounds. If you do the math loading a wheeler onto the tailgate is within that range, so no worries. So talking new truck I wouldn't give it a second thought and load it without reservation.

#4 ·
Right but the tailgate doesn't take the full weight of the rider and machine at any given moment.

#7 ·
Absolutely not!!! Like I said do the MATH!!! It'll be within the range the tailgate is rated for.

#9 ·
Gotcha well like I said the max weight the tailgate will see from loading a wheeler and operator is within the load limit of the tailgate. It's all dependent on the ramp length, height of the tailgate, position of the machine at any given moment riding up the ramp. But at no time will the tailgate see more then 50% of the weight of the machine and operator. So if the tailgate is rated for 400lbs+ it's good to go.

#10 ·
not to mention, there is typically a 3x safety margin in those load ratings.

#12 ·
I think Thor means the tailgate ratings.

Not trying to bust balls but seriously call or email, something but find out the rating on the tailgate before making any assumptions!!!

#13 ·
That is my question. I can’t find the ratings for any Chevy tailgate. GMC limits theirs because of the fact that the tailgate is all cut up to do all the various fold ups and fold down configurations. I can see that one being weaker because of that. Not trying to cause a problem. I guess just give it a go and see what happen. ?

#14 ·
Call the dealer or GM they should be able to give you that info.

#17 ·
I'd consider a new/used trailer. Include the trailer with the new truck financing. If its enclosed, keep all of the ATV equipment in the trailer. Had ramps for my old F250, pain it the butt at the end of the day. I would never consider loading my 800 lb ATV in my new F150 that does have a aluminum body. Matter I fact the F250 rotted away and I'd swear I'd never buy another Ford product until the aluminum body F150.came to be. Sorry getting off topic... however, that's what I do, consider financing the trailer with the 2020 truck. .Whats a few K's on top of a 2020 Silverado price (30 or 40K)? The trailer are just candles on the Silverado cake. Simple and no risk..

#19 ·
or get a diamond back tonneau cover and have lockable waterproof storage, and the ability to load 2 ATV onto the bed rails and never worry about the tail gate. Love my Diamond back.

#22 ·
I'm with you OP my most practical option is loading in the back of the pick/up. I prefer that method over the others.

#24 ·
Exactly!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.