Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well it's time for me to go across the pond for another tour.
I will be gone about 9 months, would like some input on long term storage for my 13 850. On my other stuff I usually put stabil in the fuel run for about 30 min top off, pull the plugs put a cap full of oil in the cyclinders, crank a few times without the plug wires on, grease everything, put on jack stands to keep tires from getting flat spots, change oil.

Let me know if there is something I should be doing different or not doing on the polaris.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Use a good fogging spray instead of oil in the cyl. They make It for outboard motors and AMSOIL make it also. It has special rust inhibitors in it unlike oil. The rest of what you are doing sounds great. Good luck overseas and thank you for your service.

·
Registered
455 Posts
disconnect the battery

And again; Thank you for your service!
Army?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Your welcome and Thank you for the fogging oil info, didn't even think to use it on my quads, used it on my boat every winter. I am assuming I would use it the same way as a boat motor, withy the motor running spray the fogging oil down the intake until the motor boggs down and then turn the motor off, or spray down each plug.

Use a good fogging spray instead of oil in the cyl. They make It for outboard motors and AMSOIL make it also. It has special rust inhibitors in it unlike oil. The rest of what you are doing sounds great. Good luck overseas and thank you for your service.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Your welcome, and yes sir I am in the Army.
I forgot to put that in my original post, I disconnect all my batteries and my wife swaps out my battery tender on them, but good looking out.

disconnect the battery

Army?

·
Registered
553 Posts
Yes just use it the same as the boat.

·
Registered
301 Posts
It's only 9 months. Don't worry about it.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't think I could leave my stuff sit that long without doing anything to it, I treat everything like I am going to keep it forever and try to maintain it that way.

·
Registered
301 Posts
I don't think I could leave my stuff sit that long without doing anything to it, I treat everything like I am going to keep it forever and try to maintain it that way.

I hear ya man...I just think talk about fogging the quad is a waste. I mean you live in Texas.

·
Registered
455 Posts
It's only 9 months. Don't worry about it

I hear ya man...I just think talk about fogging the quad is a waste. I mean you live in Texas.
huh? unprotected metal surfaces rust in Texas too

·
Registered
301 Posts

·
Registered
455 Posts
I forgot to put that in my original post, I disconnect all my batteries and my wife swaps out my battery tender on them, but good looking out.

disconnect the battery

Army?
Me too (85-89) thankfully nothing was happening...well except Grenada, we rescued a college and a golf course hahaha

but you take care over there, and come back safe

and thanks to your wife for putting up with the military lifestyle, its rough

·
Registered
455 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You are probably right about fogging being overkill, and definitely not a lot of rain or humidity where I live, but a can of fogging oil is only 7 bucks and is really not that hard to do. I think I get peace of mind out of it more than anything and it sure won't hurt it.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I would like to thank you for your service as well, it is the men and women who came before us that have paved the way for the soldiers today. I definitely think being a spouse is just as hard if not harder than actually being in the service, not sure how she puts up with it sometimes.

disconnect the battery

Army?
Me too (85-89) thankfully nothing was happening...well except Grenada, we rescued a college and a golf course hahaha

but you take care over there, and come back safe

and thanks to your wife for putting up with the military lifestyle, its rough

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
Best long term storage?

Send it to me. I'll look after it.........

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
Jack it up,......get the tires off the ground.

Thanks for your Service,........many, many trips to the dirt, retired now.

·
Registered
553 Posts
I agree starting it up for 5 min will not get the engine warm enough and will cause condensation in the oil. Short runs are very hard on engines.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts