Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello fellow ATVers. General question. Not new to Quads but new to Polaris. Basically, owned Honda n Yamaha in past and never had any machanical problems and don't anticipate any now,
Just wondering about any of you who have older Polaris quads and how they hold up. Bought mine new so nobody to blame but Me! No beating on my machine and look forward to many great years, just wondering. So far it's been great!
2016 450ho

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
As my sig shows I have a couple older 500 sporties. Different eras each and certainly than yours but overall the concept is the same. I think they've held up very well with just normal maintenance. I've had the 98 for about 3000 miles and the 10 for all but the first 300 miles, no problems at all on either one, yet. Luck and enjoy! :cowboy:

·
Registered
155 Posts
My 2009 still runs like new - you just have to keep them serviced and greased and replace parts when they get worn. But keeping them up is the key

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Only owned 2,
'00 sportsman 500 I sold with 3500 miles on it, nothing but fuel and oil changes
Bought this '14 550xp new 2 yrs ago and it's cost me $1/mile in replacement parts, so am disgusted that company went from bullet proof rides that helped make them the player they were, to a sack of shit imo. Same areas being ridden, actually this one babies far more and less abuse than prior sporty and it's always something, honestly lack of time to ride right now is saving me money lol.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Only owned 2,
'00 sportsman 500 I sold with 3500 miles on it, nothing but fuel and oil changes
Bought this '14 550xp new 2 yrs ago and it's cost me $1/mile in replacement parts, so am disgusted that company went from bullet proof rides that helped make them the player they were, to a sack of shit imo. Same areas being ridden, actually this one babies far more and less abuse than prior sporty and it's always something, honestly lack of time to ride right now is saving me money lol.
You remind me of a guy who used to frequent this forum. I think he had a 550XP and had equally bad luck with his. Every time he posted the less than pleasant experience he was having the Polaris police on here would try and string him up. You are from the Midwest and I believe the other guy was from Iowa. Seems like he offended the Polaris police so bad that eventually he got banned? You might have seen some of his older posts. He went by the name IHI. Seems like you guys would have gotten along pretty good as you seem to have a lot in common. Too bad he isn't around anymore.:hand:

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Yeah, that guy was douche bag from his first post, said he had issues with his bike from new and everybody kept saying impossible, then a crash and 2 dealers, later he found the clutching issue and fixed what was never a problem according to the polaris police and life's been grand ever since.

Way I understood it, motoalliance had him banned over some things that were never said, but it's neither here nor there anymore, don't know where he's been either but been rather refreshing to see threads with the word winch in it, not turned into an infomercial, man it got ridiculous for quite awhile, and the funniest aspect was anybody asking direct questions were told to call tech for answers lol.

My quad, ride in snow and display turns into a Christmas tree with all the various lights coming on, shutting off, coming on, go into limp mode/half power out put. Clutch issues, lost 3 cv joints due to clamps sliding off cv boots allowing crude in. Other than $800 in replacement parts (the dollar per mile mine has cost to date) it's been okay lol. Got some trail bosses (05 and 06) for wife/daughter or buddies to ride and they've been good, we'll the 06 has a out of the blue dieing issue that I need to dig into harness along steering shaft since it seems like a common problem when I searched it, but the old ones have been fine. This is definately the last polaris I will buy, I can live without frills as long as it holds up, because nothing kills a good time knowing something is bound to break when you head out.

·
Registered
6,824 Posts
Head on over to the rzr forums, loads of high mile 570's on there. Your 450HO uses the same 567cc engine, just a different tune.
Welcome aboard.

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
:haha: Muawhahahaha..... that stuff right there is funny!! :dito:

:popcorn:

I haven't had any major problems on mine that I haven't expected. Recently I replaced the rear axles on the 2005... as they started to "click". But I figure that's okay on a 16+ year old machine!

·
Administrator
898 Posts
My buddies own a 2005 Sportsman 700 and the other owns a 2006 Sportsman 500 and both have seen their miles and have done a excellent job up in the mountains the last couple years. I think for 10 year old machines they work pretty well.

·
Registered
344 Posts
my 2011 500ho has 3800 klms on it . Alot of good trail riding and water and mud. and snow... Had just replaced all the rear a arm bushings ,wear and tear no big deal. Normal maintenance has been done since new. Just replaced factory battery last month.Still original brakes. Overall very happy with my machine .It has taken me everwhere my buddies 800 can am and my buddies 1000 xp has gone thru. My 400 ho has been riddin hard by my son and was rolled once ..lucky no damage... not as many klm on it ,but it too has been a good machine . The Fuji engines are noisy but very dependable.

·
Registered
3 Posts
i have a sportsman 500 ho 2002 it is a beast it got 4000 miles run like new all i had to do is replace a axel and some boots and carburetor it was my grandpas he died and i got it

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi i personally feel that the more you ride the better the machine runs i have a 2004 400 it has 7061 miles i paid 1500 for it but it was in bad shape the guy i got it from wanted 2500 but i test drove it and was like dude your crazy if you think i am giving that much so i talked him down i put ruffly 600 in to it and i feel like it will go another 7000 miles the motor stats with the turn of the key not a knock in the motor i replaced alot drive shafts brakes calipers mastercylinders all normal ware and tare items but i am super happy with i painted it from yellow to black put big mud tires on it and it goes thru pretty much everything i also added a winch and a plow so it seams they really do last a long time i replaced the radiator fan also because when i buy something i go thru it top to bottom i gave it fresh oil all the way around but i have one question on the plow and the 400 whats the biggest plow for that machine i just aquired the plow its a 60" not sure the make but want to know if that is to big or should i make it 50 inches instead

1 - 13 of 13 Posts