Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys, So i came across a 2010 xp550 with the efi it has under 300 miles on it 1 owner.. with a 2500 # super winch and a 50" cycle country plow. I was hoping to get some input on this particular model and what to look out for to see if the owner beat the heck out of it or not. I've also heard about structural issues with the XP line up.. does that affect this year as well ? Any other issues that this year and model had in particular?

Thanks for any and all of your input boys.

Dan

·
Registered
679 Posts
I have the same machine. 300 miles she is just broke in. Look around the sellers garage, it will give you an indication of how he treats his stuff. All Xp's go through a-arm bushings and ball joints, it;s a common wear item. Keep the machine greased and they will last a little longer. Any structural issues are isolated and rare. I do keep an eye on my welds, some have paint chipping but nothing cracked.
Mine has be good to me. If I were to do it again, I'd get the same wheeler but in an 850.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey Chickenhawk thanks for the response

Hey Chickenhawk,

Why would you go for the 850 over the 550? I'm mostly just looking to use this wheeler to push snow.. and go trail riding with and maybe some light mudding..*nothing crazy or snorkeling* I've been told the difference between the 850 and the 550 is really only about 2-3 hp .. does that little bit of difference really make that big of a difference ?

Thanks for your input.

Dan

·
Registered
679 Posts
There is about 30hp difference. The 550 will do anything you ask it to do, so will a 400, but when I slam on the throttle I just wish there was more. If you have ever said "I wish this thing had more power" get the 850.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Just bought my first ATV and had this same question. I needed a Touring model and so figured I might appreciate the extra power. Part of my logic is that one of my snowmobiles is a touring model and when I have a rider on the back, you can really tell the difference in power and the snowmobiles are a lot more powerful and much, much lighter. I went with the 850 HO.

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
Hey Chickenhawk,

Why would you go for the 850 over the 550? I'm mostly just looking to use this wheeler to push snow.. and go trail riding with and maybe some light mudding..*nothing crazy or snorkeling* I've been told the difference between the 850 and the 550 is really only about 2-3 hp .. does that little bit of difference really make that big of a difference ?

Thanks for your input.

Dan

2-3 hp, lmao. More in the park of 30 hp more. The HO 850s have 77 (non HO have 72 I think) and the 550 has 42.

You'll have plenty of power to push snow and trail ride with the 550. No need to get an 850 unless you want that kind of power.

Rather be riding, instead I'm using Tapatalk

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
whats the differences between the 850 XP and the 850 HO ? is the HO carboreted ? Is there any difference in the response off the line time or in the ride and drive train ?

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
whats the differences between the 850 XP and the 850 HO ? is the HO carboreted ? Is there any difference in the response off the line time or in the ride and drive train ?

Both efi, HO is bored out gaining about 5 hp.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts

I thought the difference was bigger throttle body and different computer mapping?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
454 Posts
Dan[/quote]

2-3 hp, lmao. More in the park of 30 hp more. The HO 850s have 77 (non HO have 72 I think) and the 550 has 42.

You'll have plenty of power to push snow and trail ride with the 550. No need to get an 850 unless you want that kind of power.

Rather be riding, instead I'm using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

Just the presence of an additional cylinder would make more than 3hp. That is close to the difference between the 550 and the 570.
I've learned my lesson over the years and buy the biggest engine I can in most of my vehicles if at all possible. I'm still lamenting not buying the 270hp v8 optional engine in my boat...because I couldn't get my hands on one. I don't always need the power but am glad I bought it when I do.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
are the transmission and and body size essentially the same on the 850 as they are on 550? and does the HO have different suspension or body layout.. as far as size and ride and comfort are concerned ?

·
Registered
679 Posts

I thought the difference was bigger throttle body and different computer mapping?

Bigger throttle body makes the HO. If you bored it out it wouldn;t be an 850 anymore.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
550 is a great machine. The 850 is just way more of it. The 550 and 850 share basically the same frame with different motors. The 550xp has remained pretty much unchanged, the 850 got the HO designation in '12 when it gained 10% more horsepower raising it to 77 by putting on larger throttle bodies and reworking the mapping for the fuel injection.

One huge advantage of the 850 over other twins is the fact the motor is turned sideways so it makes the foot wells huge and the seat narrow.

·
Registered
4,629 Posts

Bigger throttle body makes the HO. If you bored it out it wouldn;t be an 850 anymore.

Ok my bad. Lesson learned. I knew something was bigger lol.

·
Registered
737 Posts
I think the 550's are turned sideways as well as the 850, my wife has a 550 and they feel the same when you sit on them. And they both have the belt in the same place. After riding them both, if you don't care about extra power the 550 is just fine. If you want the power on tap get the 850. I don't really think the 850 will do more than the 550 except in a race type scenario.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Sorry not trying to start a war. I haven't really noticed much difference between the two. I am not a real aggressive rider so that may play a part in that. I feel the handling comfort and traction are about the same but the power is obviusly better on the 850.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
The 850 is a beast of a machine as is the XP frame. I believe I would sorely miss any less HP than the 850 makes. The 850 is so butter smooth and the sound is very pleasant. Much more so than the singles that I have owned in the past. It's amazing what 10 extra HP can do and then you add 30+ HP with the 850 and it's friggin amazing!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts