Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I have been looking at a few places that have leftover 2011 850x2's. We already have a 2006 500x2 that is currently torn down to the frame as I am going to have the frame, a-arms, bed frame and various other parts powdercoated. It has been an excellent ATV, 7,800 very trouble free miles and it still runs great, just needs some TLC.

Anyway, I have decided to pick up another one to use at the farm as we can certainly use it. I am looking at the 2011 850x2's and I have found some that are new leftovers, but these dealers are asking the original MSRP of $10,499 on a three year old leftover unit? I understand that they are not made any more, but this seems ridiculous to me. Am I wrong in thinking this? What do you guys think would be a good price to negotiate on? I would have to have it shipped to Dallas, but I am willing to do that, I am just not going to pay MSRP or anywhere close on a 2011 leftover ATV, that just strikes me as crazy. I am not in a hurry so if I have to wait for a little while to find a good used one I will. I need to sell my 2006 FJR1300 first anyway although that will not be hard to do this time of the year! So what do you guys think?

·
Registered
619 Posts
I'm not sure what you mean by "they're not made anymore," because 850s are definitely still being made... But yea, MSRP is a terrible price for a 3 year old unit, new or not. Might as well get a 2014, they've worked out a few of the kinks of the older models by now anyway.

*Edit*, oh, the 850x2s maybe aren't being made, my mistake.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
If they won't budge on the price I say move on to a brand new one for the current year. I got my '11 850 EPS LE for $8k out the door and that was in '12 because the HO was just released. Two years later, I'd say $7k would be fair...

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
Thats a terrible price.

I would get a 2014 550x2 if you are set on an x2.

·
Registered
737 Posts
I was on craigslitst, It is in Mn at chopper sports. It is well below msrp. Here is the phone 763 572 21oo number. I have bought some parts from this dealership. Hope it works out, I will of course take a commission if it does work out lol. Good luck.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys, I am going to keep looking. Hey Weasel, I might have to see about the one you found. I still think they are high, but I am sure there is room to bargain. Thanks!

·
Registered
454 Posts
I saw that CL add for Chopper city when they posted it...they said they found it in a crate hiding in a warehouse. Given it is a non-ho, non eps, and a few model years old, I'm betting they got it for a song and have some room to deal.
When I shopped for my bike and couldn't find a good deal, I considered buying out of state and having it shipped but the numbers never worked out as they have on all of the cars and suv's I've bought and shipped over the years. Shipping is expensive.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So shipping the ATV was pretty high? My neighbor had a car shipped from CA to TX for under $600, I figured an ATV would not be that bad..

·
Registered
454 Posts
yeah, what i've figured out over the years is everything is cheaper in the southern states and doesn't have any rust. Also then states that were in bad financial shape compared to MN like Michigan, Ohio and some others also offered stuff way, way cheaper. Because of that, I always end up buying from a depressed or southern state. My last suv I bought from Michigan where things were so cheap, it was almost like having an exchange rate. That cost $750 in shipping but I caught a trucker passing through Michigan with an open spot on his trailer and it was at my front door in two days.
When I was looking for bikes, the bare minimum real shipping quote was almost $800. When you start getting serious about buying out of state you learn there is a whole unseen market for shipping cars and vehicles. A cheap quote for shipping something may never get picked up. You can get some less expensive quotes and some real quotes. $750/$800 is a lot when talking about a $7 of 8k wheeler and for the hassle and leap of faith you take, it just made more sense to buy locally, pay a bit more than the cheap out of state wheeler plus shipping but know exactly what you are getting. Nearly every car and suv I've bought since 1998, I bought out of state and had it shipped.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts