Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 93 model 2X4 2 stroke Polaris ATV I've had here on the farm or 10 years. I had a problem with really hard starting and had a shop check it over and found a broken piston skirt, and a piece of it apparently got in the bottom end and made a small crack in the crankcase. I took it home and may take it apart myself sometime. Anyway, I've come across 2 Explorer 400 4X4's and a Sportsman 500, all '96 models for sale reasonably close to me for about the same price. Any advice as far as which to buy? I've heard the early 500's had electrical issues. I will be putting a sprayer on it off my 350, so it will be pulling on the battery some. The 400's run chain drive front and rear and a solid rear axle, the 500 shaft drive and independent suspension. What would you guys suggest, trying to keep it under $2000. Thanks! I've driven all of them, and the 400's will out run the 500's no problem, and I think my 350 would too.

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Welcome to the board!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nobody has an opinion on which one they would buy? Hard to believe. I did find out the 400 Explorer I was thinking about has over 8000 miles, but 500 on the engine. Any problms like suspension I should be looking at?

·
Registered
221 Posts
I personally would stick with the Sportsman but I don't have a real reason why? You mentioned you would use it on the farm then you brought up which one is faster. Which is more important to you, speed or power, towing, and hauling?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I personally would stick with the Sportsman but I don't have a real reason why? You mentioned you would use it on the farm then you brought up which one is faster. Which is more important to you, speed or power, towing, and hauling?
Not really needed for towing, we have tractors and pickups for that! But have a 15 gallon sprayer that will go on it. I was just wondering which is more reliable, if the 500 has more issues, I'd go with the 400 and vice versa. Apparently the later 500's electrical system held up better, is this true?

·
Registered
221 Posts
To be honest I'm not really sure, but from the couple of people that I know who have older Sportsmans they still love them and still seem to work good for them. Can't say I know anyone with an Explorer so I can't vouch for them.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ended up with a Explorer 400 that has a recent overhaul, hope it does well. Needs front struts and the tires aren't real great, but it's good for now!

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Good for you!

·
Registered
221 Posts
Awesome well good luck with it! Hope it works out great for you also.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts