Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I came across a decent deal on an 05 sportsman 800. I was just wondering if there were any issues i need to consider before buying. For example is it a first year lemon or anything like that? Anything to look for in a pre-purchase inspection? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
First off, welcome to the board!

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
The only problem I heard of was they went threw belts when they first came out. Ask the owner if he changed it, And if he didnt I would.

·
Registered
8 Posts
How many miles are on it? Would check the front end for any play/slack in the steering as these bikes are bad about wearing out tie rods. If possible, also check and see if any of the wheel bearings are worn, another common problem due to polaris using cheap made in china bearings

·
Registered
30 Posts
Trans chain rubbing on drain plug.
My 07 was so bad half the plug was gone and the oil looked like metalflake paint.
My 08 was doing the same thing with less than 200 miles so I ground off the drain plug.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Trans chain rubbing on drain plug.
My 07 was so bad half the plug was gone and the oil looked like metalflake paint.
My 08 was doing the same thing with less than 200 miles so I ground off the drain plug.
never heard of that one. I know plastic melting was a problem... still was a bit on the 08's but aslong as you wrap the pipe in that heat wrap and ask the dealership about some more of that heat reflect tape you should be fine... also untill 07 they had a problem with the exhast pipe cracking, I welded mine 3 times before I bought a new one, I was suprized tho they made it into a 2 piece been 100% ever since. if it looks good, sit's even (dont sagg to one side) also take it for a spin note any weird noises and while it's sitting in gear make sure it dont wana creep. when I had my accident i twisted the frame a little bit so that the dealer could not do a belt allginment. needed a new frame that's 1000 bucks.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts