Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The wife and I started out with a 2010 Rancher and King Quad 700. We sold them to buy a UTV. The wife prefers to ride her own rig. We are looking at a new 400 and a 570. One of my concerns is fuel economy and range. We live where we will occasionally do a 250 mile day. I am wondering what the distance to empty is and how much fuel to pack. I don't think we will do a lot of technical trail riding, but we have 1000s of miles of two tracks here in NV. I'm also trying to buy them as cheaply as possible and may not get EPS either since we will be riding two track roads most of the time.

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
Welcome to the forum! The 400 & 570 are two very nice atvs. As far as fuel range some other members will be more informative.

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Welcome to the board.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I'm not sure on the fuel mileage. I have the 570, I have 30 miles and 5 hours and I have only used one bar, I think they have 7 or bars. So not sure really on the range, if this helps at all. Also, I don't fill it up to the rim. I stop it at the neck of the tank.

·
Registered
548 Posts
With our 2012 400's we get around 100 miles a tank on forest roads. And we ride around 20 mph. I carry two gallons each for both of us!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Kolpin/Rotopak

Has anyone mounted a gas can on top of the rack tops that come on some of the Polaris with the storage under the lids?
Thanks for the replies. On our 240+ mile route, there is gas at the 125 mark. If we could get 100 miles to a tank and carried a couple of g each, we could make the loop safely enough. It would obviously be a two track county road and cruising speeds in the 30ish mph range. With lunch and gas in the middle and some picture breaks, it would be a long day. I can see some led driving lights for coming home in the dark.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Has anyone mounted a gas can on top of the rack tops that come on some of the Polaris with the storage under the lids?
Thanks for the replies. On our 240+ mile route, there is gas at the 125 mark. If we could get 100 miles to a tank and carried a couple of g each, we could make the loop safely enough. It would obviously be a two track county road and cruising speeds in the 30ish mph range. With lunch and gas in the middle and some picture breaks, it would be a long day. I can see some led driving lights for coming home in the dark.
I get 80-100 mpg with my 500 , I have mounted two- 1 gallon Rotopax side by side on my front rack/storage compartment. It worked out well as the headlight pod is high enough above them that there is no interference with the light beam. As far as LED's , check out the Kolpin 3" Dually LED"s (flood pattern) on Amazon. They are about $180 shipped to your door but well worth the price. I mounted them on the front bumper.They are really bright and light everything up, you really don't need the regular headlights when they are on. There is video of them on YOUTUBE.

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
At the range of 80-100 miles per tank..... a day trip of 200-250 miles would require each quad to carry (at minimum) it's own 4 gallon Rotopack Fuel pack.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I've got a 2007 500efi sportsman and wife has a 2007 450 sportsman. I got around 19mi a gal on ride last fall and wife got about the same or better. The 500 has 4.13gal tank and the 450 has a slightly larger tank. I normally lead the group so my riding is more gun it up to cruising speed and brake hard for stops. Wife is more of a smooth rider. I have a 4gal rotopak mounted on my front rack. I've never used it, but it's there if needed. 1 thing to remember on these machines is the fuel gauge will take some time to drop the first bar, but the rest will go quicker.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I can not yet speak for the 400 (i have one on order for the wife and hopefully it will be ready by Saturday) but i can for the 570. I know just riding around playing on our property it can suck some fuel. But I have taken it on a some trail rides old rail way beds that kind of stuff and it seems to just sip gas. Rode for a couple of hours on Sunday and it just went down one bar on the gas gauge so I think it is all in your riding style. If your just on a cruise, its like hwy mileage if your playing it may suck some fuel like city driving does for a car. But I can say this your going to love the 570.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I have a 570, haven't tested the fuel economy yet. From what I've read you can expect between 100-120 miles per tank of gas. If you bring an extra 4 gallons you could probably get 200 miles about.

·
Registered
567 Posts
I can not yet speak for the 400 (i have one on order for the wife and hopefully it will be ready by Saturday) but i can for the 570. I know just riding around playing on our property it can suck some fuel. But I have taken it on a some trail rides old rail way beds that kind of stuff and it seems to just sip gas. Rode for a couple of hours on Sunday and it just went down one bar on the gas gauge so I think it is all in your riding style. If your just on a cruise, its like hwy mileage if your playing it may suck some fuel like city driving does for a car. But I can say this your going to love the 570.
It is all about how you ride. I have a 400 and I do a lot of low speed low range trail riding with my fair share of big mud holes and I only get around 45 miles per tank full.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Good Info

That is exactly what I was looking for! The one long loop we would as described, does have gas at 125. So with a burger, a fill up and some Kolpin cans, it is doable. I appreciate the candor and opinions here. I followed a link to a grizzly comparison and they were rabid about the "popos". We are a 60 year old couple that like to get out and enjoy the attractions that NV has in spades. We are fortunate to have so much public lands and law enforcement that allows us to travel the back roads.
I am hoping to get the 400 and 570 in the next month. Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
The wife and I started out with a 2010 Rancher and King Quad 700. We sold them to buy a UTV. The wife prefers to ride her own rig. We are looking at a new 400 and a 570. One of my concerns is fuel economy and range. We live where we will occasionally do a 250 mile day. I am wondering what the distance to empty is and how much fuel to pack. I don't think we will do a lot of technical trail riding, but we have 1000s of miles of two tracks here in NV. I'm also trying to buy them as cheaply as possible and may not get EPS either since we will be riding two track roads most of the time.
I have a 2013 500 and the best I've seen was 23.8 mpg but that was in the Mountains of WVa. I would imagine it would do better where you are riding. but to go 200-250 miles ur going to have to carry near 5 gallons apiece extra fuel to be on the safe side, unless there is a stop with gas somewhere along the way

·
Registered
89 Posts
That is exactly what I was looking for! The one long loop we would as described, does have gas at 125. So with a burger, a fill up and some Kolpin cans, it is doable. I appreciate the candor and opinions here. I followed a link to a grizzly comparison and they were rabid about the "popos".
The Grizzly Taliban :motz: For the kind of riding you describe, you'll be happy at the end of the day, that you chose Popo's. They ride like no others.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts