Polaris ATV Forum banner

Looking at buying 2015 XP 850, what to look for?

3K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Deucer 
#1 ·
Hey everyone, I’m looking at buying a 2015 Sportsman 850 XP. Other than the normal things (oil, coolant, suspension bushings, tie rods, ball joints, etc) that’d I’d normally check prior to purchase, is there anything Sportsman-specific that should be looked over? This will be (possibly) be my first Polaris. Thanks.

#2 · (Edited)
There were some years of 850's that were prone to the pressed on Timing Gear slipping and causing issues like piston hitting valves....... not sure if they had it fixed by 2015 model, but the 2010-14 had issues with this......

Go to advanced search feature (top right of page under the 3 vertical dots) and type in "Timing Gear" Many pages of discussion will appear.

#3 ·
The 2015 did not have the timing gear to crank slip issue. I have 2015 850. Look the frame over carefully for cracks (where the a-arms connect. If the machine was abused (jumped., etc.) that's where it shows. I installed the Cecco frame braces and machined front diff cover as prevention. I use my machine with tracks and decent loads all winter for ice fishing. No problems except for electrical issues which were traced to the relays up front. Not a big deal fix but it sure was a big PIA to deal with.

#4 ·
^^^^^^what Phil said!!! Inner lower a-arm to frame gussets and front diff cover.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.