Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive been looking at buying a 1995 scrambler 400 2 stroke. Ive have owned an outlaw and a preadtor but they just require ao much maintenance. I would like to know if the 400 is a good motor and is comparable in power too the pred and outlaw. Also what would be a good price for it. The guy said he would go down to 1000 but it needs all 4 tires. Thanks guys

·
Registered
720 Posts
Those 400 2 stroke Polaris motors were pretty rapid, the Sport 400 was actually one of the fastest ATV's of it's time. I'm pretty sure the Scrambler has the same motor as it did, I don't know how it would compare to the Predator or Outlaw though. In my opinion a 4 stroke is much better for trail riding where as a 2 stroke is better in wide open and sand riding. "Again this is just my opinion" And as far as maintenance goes I would think a 2 stroke would have more than a 4 stroke. I'm a pretty big Predator fan myself.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I know this is a late reply, I'm late to the party but i hope you picked that 4 wheeler up.

People forget that all serious dirtbikes and most early quads used to be 2 stroke. All we had in the 70's were 2 stroke dirt bikes. It used to be you couldn't get anywhere near the HP and torque with similar size 4 stroke so ........ Use that 2 stroke anywhere you want to go......

I have an 1985 2 stroke Polaris 250 and a 2000 Polaris 2 stroke 250. They both still kick butt.

Their is no extra maint required just a little different. The oil that is mixed with the gas by your oil injection pump provides your internal engine lubrication, there is no crank case oil. There are no valves to adjust. Use a high quality 2 stroke oil and a high quality spark plug and always keep a spare plug handy as they can foul on occasion. You still have trans oil that needs attention and don't forget all of the grease zerk points.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts