Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
looking for a camper style toy hauler. would like to stay under 30 foot. I haven't measured but can you get 2 full size quads in these trailers side by side? I have a 850xp and a 700 grizzly. I just don't see them going side by side and I'm not going to turn them sideways.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Their will be a lot of RV shows coming, its a good time to look in one place,we go to shows but were not looking to by one, their is a big one in GR im not sure of the date, its at Devos place.:veryhappy:

·
Registered
522 Posts
I just looked up the dates for the show in GR its Jan 23 to Jan26..

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
We looked into this exact question this past summer..... most camper styles we liked were the rear garage / screen portch style toy hauler and they had an inside wall to wall clearance of 7'6" - 8'0", and a 4-6" narrower rear door/ramp opening. I measured our two wheelers (2012 800 & 2005 400) tight side by side in the garage and came up with something like 8' 2-4" wide with the mud lites/rims installed on the 800 and stock on the 400. Either way it was a couple inches too wide. So our thought process changed..... as we would almost be forced to get the camper style in which they will fit end to end and the sofa and dinning area's fold up along the wall (cargo trailer style). This wasn't the way we wanted to go.... with having the gas smell in living, eating and sleeping areas.

We expanded our thoughts and options.... and we recently purchased a 5th wheel camper (29.5') and are having a rear tow hitch installed so we can tow tandem trailers (camper & wheelers trailer). However, this setup may not be for everyone and there are other options (below). Another reason we went this route was the ability to camp at state camp gounds, that don't allow the use of atv's within. We can stop an unhook the wheeler trailer near the front gate / check in building (lock the hitch), pull the camper back to our camp site and set it up for the weekend. Now we are free to trailer the wheelers to the trail head and still have all the walking trails, ect of the state camp grounds!! Also in a few years we'll likely be going from 2 wheelers to 3 when jounior can ride legally by himself!?!?

Options and thoughts for you and your camper selection..... if towing with a Pickup truck.... 1) one wheeler could be hauled in the truck box and the other in the camper/toy hauler garage, if you found a model you liked and they wouldn't both fit in the toy haulers garage space (as I measured). 2) Find a cargo / open floor plan toy hauler.... check out the "WORK & PLAY" brand!

As mentioned above..... with "spring" on the way there will be many "RV shows" coming up in the metro area's. Plan a day and take a family trip. Look at floor plans and options that would work for you. BEFORE YOU GO.... park the wheelers end to end and side by side and take measurments both ways (write them down!! :D). Take these measurments with you, along with your favorite tape measure to the RV Show. Others may look at you cross-eyed, but the dealers will see they are working with someone who knows what they are looking for and doing!!!

Just somethings to think about......

Good Luck with the camper quest...... and Enjoy the family memories that will be created!!!

(Sorry for the long read!!)

·
Registered
765 Posts
i have a toy hauler and they are a great thing to have. they're very versatile. man their are so many different models and options out there i would figure out whats right for you, the truck you have available to pull it and go for it....if i had it to over again i might have bought a fifth wheel like "must be nice" but i bought a bumper hitch because i wanted to have the full use of my bed. plus, I'd never owned an rv before and was a little intimidated by the 5th wheel.
i have a 29ft vortex and it has a 10ft garage but i can pull my atv's up farther in between the refrigerator and the cabinets. that gives me more like 12 to 13ft. i can fit my sportsman 500 and grizzly 700 with the grizz in back at a slight angle. then i can haul my youngest boys atv in the truck bed.
if you don't have a 3/4 ton truck a toy hauler that size will be a stretch to pull safely in my opinion. good luck!

·
Registered
765 Posts
here's a few pictures of mine. I bought it used. for our first rv purchase we were pleased. if I bought anything bigger I might opt for a diesel.

Attachments

·
Registered
522 Posts
I don't know where you are in Michigan, but there is a show in Novi Feb 5-9 the suburban someplace, it's nice to look at a lot of models at on time. Go to marvac .org it will show you shows in your area. Hopes this helps . Tweez

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Great info here , i work one exit from the novi show, will check it out. i would like to stay with something small enough to tow with a 1/2 ton but in the market for a new truck also, wife wants a new f350 so she might get her wish. there are a ton of used toyhaulers for sale. we have stopped at a big dealer off 94 on the west side of the state a couple months ago. they had a hugh selection and were not pushy at all, in fact the sales man took my name and # and never tried to call. i went to general rv in novi and the guy kept calling. I ended up blocking there #. if i buy new i will probly go to the other dealer. I just see this costing alot of money in the end.Having fun isn't cheap.

·
Registered
7,464 Posts

·
Registered
522 Posts
You might also look in a magazine I pick up its called Michigan auto& rv its free and it has great coverage. Good luck hunting,camping is great fun . We love it...:veryhappy: autorv.com

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You might also look in a magazine I pick up its called Michigan auto& rv its free and it has great coverage. Good luck hunting,camping is great fun . We love it...:veryhappy: autorv.com
Was going to grab one at the store the other day and they were out. I have also been looking at c class motorhomes. I have a 7 x 16 enclosed haulmark trailer I pull the quads in. I like leaving them in there for storing them also.

·
Registered
553 Posts
I get two XPs side by side in the back of our fusion 5th wheel but it is tight. Our 22 foot desert fox I can get two in end to end but not side by side.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Was going to grab one at the store the other day and they were out. I have also been looking at c class motorhomes. I have a 7 x 16 enclosed haulmark trailer I pull the quads in. I like leaving them in there for storing them also.
I have a class c with a 16' enclosed trailer and works fine for us. We use are trailer for storing the quads too!!

·
Registered
815 Posts
a few things to look for coming from someone who grew up with toy haulers,
How hard is it to make the bed if its one stuffed in a corner or the front?
What brand are the tires on it and do they support more than the weight of the trailer fully loaded? (lots of blow outs)
How big is the hot water heater?
Is everything where its supposed to be? light switches, wall plugs, tv plugs, etc. these are slapped together like crazy and there WILL be mistakes in it.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Listen to what MustBeNice had to say. They didn't listen to the sales people. They had the measurements they needed. when they went looking.

The salesman only get paid if you buy so 99% are stupid about what they are selling.

I would make sure what ever you get has a quiet generator that would run an AC unit. It would also need to have enough water to get showers.
I have found there are many atv trails no where near camp grounds. I think it is now called Dry Camping.

Good luck with your hunt.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts