Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Purchased the Sawtooth used about 4 years ago. Ran ok, but had to store it for a couple of years after draining the tank and carb. Installed a new battery, clean air filter and fresh gas, but won't start. Good spark at the plug, gas is flowing to the carb.

Pulled the carb but the 4 screws to the float housing is stuck. Penetrating oil did not help. Guessing it have never been un-done in 13-14 years.

So, I'm trying to buy a new carb. Every listing I've run across is different than what is on the ATV.

The manual list and show: Keihin VM 22mm
The shop order book show a part #0455075 and #0452852, but they don't look like what I have.
The unit that is on the ATV is a Mikuni Corp with no model number I can see.

Any body else have this carb?
Any idea where I can order one?

Thanks much,
Gary

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,025 Posts
It is not uncommon to have difficulty getting the bowl screws out. I have always had success with a pair of needle nose vice grip pliers. I can get the tips on and grip the screw head then break it loose. Some of the carb kits come with new screws or you can replace them with the same size allen head screws. If you still want to get a used carb, give powersportsnation.com a call. They should be able to hook you up with the right replacement part. Probably gonna want to go through it though anyway.

·
Registered
8,103 Posts
That carb is not off a 2006 Sawtooth - the Sawtooth used a flange mount Chinese carb - the one in the pic is a spigot mount mount Mikuni - the OEM carb is part number 0452305 @ $520

I use a left hand twist drill bit and drill the head off the screw - with luck, the bit will snag and it will unscrew the screws just as the head is ready to come off the shank.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank-you for the quick replies. The Polaris #0452305, like the #0455075 and #0452852 units look completely different than the Mikuni unit that I have. The electronic throttle cable is threaded into the carb body. So does the choke cable. There are no springs or other mechanical connectors on the outside.

I've try the lockjaw pliers, but leave the drill out option as a last ditch.

Attachments

·
10,595 Posts
I usually have success with an impact driver on sticky bowl screws. I have had to use a Dremel to cut a flat head screwdriver slot to get some out that had been rounded so bad previously that a Phillips wouldn't work but I've never been unable to get them out one way or another. It also helps to whack them good with a hammer before trying to turn to vibrate/jar any corrosion on the threads loose.

·
Registered
8,103 Posts
If I can't get them with an impact tool and the Phillips cross is rounded out anyway, I go for the drill, get the bowl off and remove the screw shanks with whatever works

·
10,595 Posts
If I can't get them with an impact tool and the Phillips cross is rounded out anyway, I go for the drill, get the bowl off and remove the screw shanks with whatever works
Yeah, that would probably be my next alternative. Whatever it takes they gotta come from there.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
SUCCESS !!! :)
A combination of hammer strikes and lockjaw pliers did the trick. Now I just have to find the carb rebuild kits. I'll do some research and open a new post with that question if I can't locate one.

Thanks all for the help.
Gary

1 - 8 of 8 Posts