Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. I'm wondering if there is anywhere in the lower 48 where I can ride and camp on a trail.

What I would like to do is load up the 850 with a tent, food,gas,etc hop on and ride. Then at night camp in the bush and do it all over again the next day.
No motels, no hotels, no nothing.

I know it may seem weird, but it would be fun for me to do this like the pioneers did back in the day.

I'm sure it would be in the west but I would like to do something like this some day.

Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. Looks interesting. Especially the prosect of riding into Canada.

What are the laws concerning traveling with a rifle or shotgun across borders?

·
Registered
434 Posts
Colorado would have endless options for doing that. You would need a Colorado Forrest Tag which are $25.25 to purchase. If you're coming this far and going to ride our superior elevation you would want to do plenty of research beforehand. Some areas are only passable a few months out of the year. It can take till the end of July for certain areas to clear of snow. Other areas could be attempted as soon as May.

If you came this way, hell I might join you.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hell yeah!
That would work. I'm thinking (just thinking at the moment) about this summer. Take a week. Colorado is a bit of a haul from SC so my ride time would be limited.
Hell who knows maybe Colorado needs a top notch generator mechanic. I might stay!

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
Northern Maine would be my choice...lots an lots of logging roads....bring gas..nothing there....we got a moose permit a few years ago so we went North up near Chambelain lake area....so many roads there..dirt one with nothing but log trucks on them..off them roads you just find old skidder roads...go for miles....its so remote....

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
we had no problems there...we had a Jeep and ATV's....we actualy had to get a skidder to help bring the moose out....lol...no way the Jeep could get in there...

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Why couldn't your quad drag the moose out? Was it a big bull?

I'd love to bag a moose. Never hunted out-of-state.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
yes was a bull...975 lbs....he did not want to cut it up out there...he wanted to cape it out nice to mount....getting a permit is a lottery for non residents...its a once in a lifetime win....less than 10% get a permit...also tons of coyotes there...funny thing is...we did not see lots of deer but what we seen were huge....the southern part of maine is best for deer....bring plenty of bug spray....mosquitoes as big as sparrows ..lol....

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yes was a bull...975 lbs....he did not want to cut it up out there...he wanted to cape it out nice to mount....getting a permit is a lottery for non residents...its a once in a lifetime win....less than 10% get a permit...also tons of coyotes there...funny thing is...we did not see lots of deer but what we seen were huge....the southern part of maine is best for deer....bring plenty of bug spray....mosquitoes as big as sparrows ..lol....
Wow that would be tough to drag on a quad. Good going!

Always down to thin the coyote population. And deer. Oh and wild hog.

I don't think I could drag a half ton moose back to SC...

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
yes I hunt coyotes here at home at night....lots of them...when the rabbit population explodes...so does the coyotes....one night in summer seen 8 coyotes traveling together in the pasture...had some fighting in the yard one night over a rabbit kill...was crazy...my dogs were flipping out....riding out back in the snow...see a few deer track with a ton of coyote track right on them...hate them...we have no wild pigs here..just in the bars..loll

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah never thought about moose in the east.
Maybe I need to visit a bar up there!
Lol.
See the wildlife...

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
x3 on Northern Maine. While I've never "slept out in the bush" as you say, I know riders who have done it. Jackman is good, as is the Moose loop.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
Jackman is a good spot...its in the moosehead lake region....nice there...great fishing all thru there...fly fishing for nice brook trout...nothing like it..fresh streamside trout lunch...one year we went to a fishing derby on Mossehead..was cold as a witches ass that year ....we get on the ice an start drillin holes...well it was thick so we had to put the extension on the auger thats another 18'' on top of the 4 ' blade....we still bottomed out...had to chip the last bit out..was a bitch...I had more fun running coyotes on the lake..lol...its a huge huge lake..its like 40 miles long and some place like 8 wide....worth a trip there...lots of riding also

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I was looking at the state website.
It seems similar to WV as far as all the trails.
I think I will give it a try this year. Its only 18 hours to Jackman from SC.

What are the laws up there as far as ATV on the roads?
What about long gun laws?

I will have to pass through either NY and/or NJ so I may have to really be concerned about that.

I wouldn't consider packing my .45. Transporting a handgun north of VA is too iffy in these days.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
well depends on the time of year..if going hunting you will need a game licence...i think they have a small game also....we carried small arms while hunting an been checked an no problem as long as your licensed...if your walking in the woods with either..i would have a hunting permit...the wardens there are pr!&ks...as long as legal they wont bother you....and trails...lots of skidder roads an trails up there...try to get land owners permission if its private land...most will let you....keep it clean...offer the land owner fish or game as a gift for letting you there....most live off the land up there and will be glad of your offer

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So going up armed with no intent on hunting or fishing may not be a good idea?

All I wave is a Remington 700, Armalite AR-10, AR-15, and a pump 12 gauge.
Just hate to be totally unprotected. Mainly concerned with critters than people.

Being a visitor I really want to play by the rules. I know what I can get away with here but that may get me in trouble up there.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Regarding going into Canada with a weapon: I wouldn't risk it. You're more likely to get hassled by mounties than by wildlife. But a nice loud handheld air horn might be a good idea.

Regarding riding and camping on the trail: The Paiute Trail in Utah is very good for that. Me and some buddies are going to do that in August, when the temperature at those elevations is a balmy 70 degrees or so.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts