Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got an '03 Sportsman Twin. I only has about 800 miles on it, but when I apply the brake it does not grab too well. It will make it stop if I get on it though. How do you adjust the brakes? You should be able to make it stop without squeezing as hard as I have been lately. Any help would be appreciated. What kind of brake pads do you all use? Where did you find them and for how much? I've found some "deals" on ebay for about $25 with free shipping but are they worth it in the end run?

·
Registered
337 Posts
Two things:
1. Bleed the hyd. brake lines, flush them and fill master cyl. with new fluid.
2. Check the thickness of your brake pads.

Report back.
Let us know how much water and rust came out of the lines.
Let us know how much dirt and mud came off of the brake pads.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
I use EBC pads getting them on Ebay most of the time.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
EBC "severe duty'" brake pads. Gonna give E-bay a try!

·
Registered
379 Posts
Brake fluid needs to be changed every two years, independently on how much the vehicle was in use. The brake fluids tend to accumulate humidity and gain percentage of water in it. It's acceptable percentage during two years period. After two years period, the brake fluid in vehicle has the percentage of water that is more then spec, so it has to be changed. More water in fluid, harder to brake and you need to squeeze the lever more (press the pedal for cars), and brake effectivness is reduced. It gets worse year by year.
This is just from my general knowledge of brake fluid in vehicle. If you look in owner's manuals of any vehicle, you'll see the note about changing the fluid every two years.

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
I agree with all above.. EBS pads and flushed, bleed and new fluid added!

CW

·
Registered
170 Posts
Sounds like it may be time for new brakes,Be Careful on the eBay pads I put a set of no name pads from eBay on My Yamaha Grizzly 2 rides & 90 miles later brakes were grinding (Metal To Metal) No lining remaining Where O.E. Pads lasted 500 + Miles,Replaced with O.E. Yamaha pads,I have used the EBC Brakes in the past with good results but beware of the no name pads!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts