Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I plan to keep the stock wheels, but move to a 26" tire, maybe some STI Black Diamonds or something. I also want to make the quad slightly wider at the wheel, to add a little stability in the turns, make it feel a little more planted and less tipsy.

I spent all weekend up at the Hatfield McCoy trails in WV, and we stayed at Wild Willies. Willie made the suggestion of slightly widening the footprint of this quad.

So I am looking for the cheapest offsets to accomplish this, as well as how much to realistically widen it by?

Thanks!

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Nothing? Not even a recommendation on how much of an offset is good?

Surely I cannot be the first person to consider something like this?

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
4+3 is the common offset....some companies make a 5+2 but dont know which ones....those are the 2 i know thats available.....6+1 is the stock offset

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
4+3 is the common offset....some companies make a 5+2 but dont know which ones....those are the 2 i know thats available.....6+1 is the stock offset
Hmmm.. ok, so if I was to buy new offsets, what would you recommend? Or, if it makes more sense to just get some cheap ITP wheels or something that stick out a little further than stock, what would be my best bet?

I think that the stock overall wheel width is 48? So maybe either 1" per side extra offsets, or a wheel that has a 1" wider offset?

So if I wanted a wheel to move out an inch or so, which offset would do that? If it is 6+1 now, do I need to go to a 5+2 or 4+3?

I guess I don't know what those numbers mean. haha

·
Registered
101 Posts
Look at the ITP Deltas. They are a 4+3 off set and they are steel but fairly cheap. Got mine at $34 each. They only come in 12i inch diameter.

I too ran the STI Black Diamonds in 26 inch diameter. I love them.

seabee78

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Look at the ITP Deltas. They are a 4+3 off set and they are steel but fairly cheap. Got mine at $34 each. They only come in 12i inch diameter.

I too ran the STI Black Diamonds in 26 inch diameter. I love them.

seabee78
But do they move the wheels and width out from stock, and by how much would the wheel width base increase?

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
the 4+3 will work out good....wider stance...no tire rubbing...the 4+3 will make you close to 4 inches wider ...

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
the 4+3 will work out good....wider stance...no tire rubbing...the 4+3 will make you close to 4 inches wider ...
That's what I needed to know, thanks!

I will upgrade to those rims and keep my stock rims for spares.

Next question, the dreaded tire selection.

Need cheap, better than stock, general trail use and lite mud(no snorkel and burying my quad type of stuff, just muddy trails)... Maybe a 26" tire, stock widths and light weight... I don't want to have to dump money into a clutch or risk snapping an axle....

I want a little wider stance for stability, little more grip for lite mud, but I want to keep the weight down and do it cheap.

Suggestions?

I see Tusk Trilobites and STI Black Diamonds, they seem decent and cheap. Hell, the stock 489's are only 4 ply, so even a cheap 6 ply should be stiffer and stronger, right?

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
take a look at the kenda bear Claws...they make a 6 ply reg tire and a 8 ply radial...very good tires and good price....I have the radials and they are great tires...I am not a mud bogger but have been in some 1 foot deep mud and no problem..they are great on trails..bite deep...I ride in 2wd alot on trails and they keep going nice...but there are many good tires out there...

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
take a look at the kenda bear Claws...they make a 6 ply reg tire and a 8 ply radial...very good tires and good price....I have the radials and they are great tires...I am not a mud bogger but have been in some 1 foot deep mud and no problem..they are great on trails..bite deep...I ride in 2wd alot on trails and they keep going nice...but there are many good tires out there...
Cool, seems that I can get a set of the 6 ply radial Bear Claws in stock sizes, plus a set of the black ITP wheels, for $420 shipped. Not bad for a complete wheel/tire set. Wider more stable stance, better grip and nicer ride, no need to mess with the clutch... That's what I was looking for. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
your welcome....you will be very happy with the tires....I looked at tons of reviews on lots of forums..and no one had a bad review...they all loved the tires...just dont ride on your lawn..they are like roto tillers will dig it up..lol...

·
Registered
117 Posts
Cool, seems that I can get a set of the 6 ply radial Bear Claws in stock sizes, plus a set of the black ITP wheels, for $420 shipped. Not bad for a complete wheel/tire set. Wider more stable stance, better grip and nicer ride, no need to mess with the clutch... That's what I was looking for. Thanks!
That's a good price for wheels and tires. Were is that thru? I been looking for about the same thing

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That's a good price for wheels and tires. Were is that thru? I been looking for about the same thing
Rocky Mountain ATV

·
Registered
66 Posts
I had ITP mud-lite XL Tires on my Foreman 450 and they hooked the mud EXCELLENT.

eBay has them for $322 shipped to your door brand new tires.

If I were to just buy tires I would order them in a minute

1 - 16 of 16 Posts