Polaris ATV Forum banner

Looking for input 12" vs. 14"

3K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  thundermountainatv 
#1 ·
Hello All!

First time posting to this excellent site.

I purchased a 2004 Sportsman 500HO early this fall. The machine currently has itp black water tires 27-9/11-12 that are showing some wear, the front 2 both have plugs and tubes installed. So now I am looking for some new rubber and wheels.

My question as I shop and compare is, are there pros/cons when looking at a 12" or 14" tire/wheel combination? Any reason to not run a 14" on the 2004?

Thanks in advance for any incite and advice!:)

#2 ·
Hello and welcome :shakehands:

Less sidewall makes them more prone to pinching against the bead on rocks. Also stiffens the ride a little.

#3 ·
The 14" tire will also be lighter than the same tire in a 12". Might mean the difference between needing a clutch kit or not. Also, what type of rims do you have ? If currently running a stock, steel wheel, then upgrading to an aluminum rim will also decrease weight and rotational mass.

I'm stuck with this issue also. I want to upgrade my tires next year on my 800 sportsman, and would like to go to a 26" or 27" tire (probably Bear Claws) without going nuts on the clutch. I don't mind changing springs or weights, I just don't want to put down 3-4 bills on a new clutch.

#5 ·
The 14" tire will also be lighter than the same tire in a 12".
That's a good point, but not always true as evidenced by the weight chart on this page. Look at the 26's, although the rears are indeed lighter the fronts are actually heavier.

Kenda Bearclaw HTR

Just be sure to check the weights before you buy so you don't get burned.

#6 ·
The 14" tire will also be lighter than the same tire in a 12".
That's a good point, but not always true as evidenced by the weight chart on this page. Look at the 26's, although the rears are indeed lighter the fronts are actually heavier.

Kenda Bearclaw HTR

Just be sure to check the weights before you buy so you don't get burned.
Interesting. That makes no sense to me, but definitely re-affirms the point to double check the weights.

#7 ·
I would stick with 12" for the reasons stated above. You will also pay more for the 14's. I would switch from my 14's to 12's if they would fit on an XP. You don't see many hard core 4x4's with low profile tires on them. There is a reason for that. If you are looking at the same size tire in 12" & 14", there will not be enough of a weight difference to worry about clutch work.

#8 ·
Thank you all for your comments!

What got me considering the 14" was I am leaning heavily towards a set of grim reapers and to keep my current size of 27-9/11 the only option are 14". So many choices out there, want to make sure its money well spent.

Sent from my SCH-R760 using Tapatalk 2

#9 · (Edited)
Stick with 12's. You will have less sidewall on a 14" and with that you have a much greater chance on pinching a sidewall and plus your ride will be stiffer. Believe me I know, cause I've tried both. I will never go back to a 14" rim ever again. Whoever the idiot was that decided to come up with the idea of putting 14's on a 4wheeler should be slapped around. Another thing too, you have a greater chance of tearing your wheel up too, especially around the edge of the rim. Once again, due to having less sidewall and having more wheel area.

#10 ·
if you are 27" or taller you will be ok as long as you run a wide enough tire 14" tires with 27" reptiles , no flats or pinches yet... plenty of chances here in the Ozarks to ruin a tire.
However I have pulled both rear fenders off my RZR by catching them between rocks and the tires.

Don't forget to look at the tires and run a 8 ply....... stay away from the bighorn 2.0 and don't run your tires under inflated

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.