Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I posted some questions earlier to which I figured most of it out. Does anyone know if the display on the gauge has any ties to the ecu? I've tracked wiring for days now and I'm down to either having to replace the gauge or the ecu. The machine starts and runs really well, but the only thing showing on the gauge is the odo, I can flick through the trip and service interval, but that's it. I have a feeling that it's the gauge after disassembling it, it has a well toasted circuit smell, but no visual indication. Both are expensive and I'd rather just get the right thing.

·
Premium Member
1,632 Posts
"Looking for the smartest person in the lobby"

Hands down........That would be latebird....

Reactions: Sprotsman

·
Registered
8,438 Posts
Early or late build?

Never mind - the only connection to the CDI (I believe that's what you are referring to as the ECU) is the black wire - the black wire is for limiting speed in reverse.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the reply latebird. I'm not sure if it's a late or early build. I should have been a bit clearer. The question I should have asked is; is the gauge seems to be a separate controller for the electronic gear selection and awd from the Bosch ecu/CDI control box. Meaning that the engine management system seems to be working just fine, but the accessories are not. I'm going to keep chasing wires before I pull the trigger on a gauge. It just seems to me that it's a gauge because none of the external inputs seem to work, just the odo/trip. Does that make more sense?

·
Registered
8,438 Posts
Early 700 had a combination CDI/ignition coil unit - late 700 has a separate CDI unit and ignition coil - neither one has a ECU - there is no engine management system on the carburetor fed engine.

The late model has a 4 pin Speedo diagnostic plug while the early build does not have the diagnostic plug.

The both builds have a 16 pin plug on the speedo:
Pin # Early Late
1) 12v+ 12v+ Red wire
2) Switched 12v+ Switched 12v+ Red/Wht when the key switch and the handlebar switch are in RUN
3) Ground Ground Gry/Org when the reverse override switch is pressed
4) Ignition Kill Ignition Kill Black wire on CDI unit - kills spark when connected to ground
5) Unused Diagnostic Plug Green wire
6) Unused Diagnostic Plug Blue wire
7) Alternator Alternator Yel/Red wire connects to one pole of the alternator for RPM
8) Ground Ground Brown wire = chassis ground
9) Hot Light Hot Light Blu/wht wire - turns on hot indicator when connected to ground
10) Unused Unused
11) Unused Unused
12) Fuel Gauge Fuel Gauge Violet/white wire (wired but not used on either build)
13) High Range High Range Brown/red wire to transmission switch
14) Gear Indicator Gear Indicator White wire to resistor bank
15) Unused Unused
16) AWD Indicator AWD Indicator Brown/White wire

If you connect pins 9 through 16 to ground it should cause an indication on the meter - if not, you need a new meter

I composed this as a chart, but it truncated all the 'spaces' between components.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That is exactly the info I was after, thanks so much. This one is an efi job though.

·
Registered
8,438 Posts
EFI units have an orange/white wire going to pin #1 - the rest is the same, but you will have a sending unit connected to the violet/white wire

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The ecu recall has never been done on this model, if you are aware of that as it was quite a while ago. At least it's one part I don't have to pay for if it tests bad. Go internet.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts