Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone I'm looking to buy a plow for the upcoming winter for my Polaris sportsman etx and don't know much about it...I'm not looking to go spend a ton of money on one either. My plan is to get a superwinch 3000lb winch and then I need to pick a plow. I was looking at a warn plow with push tube but they didn't make a mount that fit the etx unless if anyone would know it's the exact same one as the 2011-2014 Polaris sportsman 400. I didn't know if it was and hope someone can help me out. Also can I hear someone's thoughts on the superwinch 3000lb winch. Also I forgot to add that the plow was a 48" and since the etx is only 325cc I didn't know if it could handle bigger like a 54" plow. Thanks again in advance

·
Registered
87 Posts
Hello everyone I'm looking to buy a plow for the upcoming winter for my Polaris sportsman etx and don't know much about it...I'm not looking to go spend a ton of money on one either. My plan is to get a superwinch 3000lb winch and then I need to pick a plow. I was looking at a warn plow with push tube but they didn't make a mount that fit the etx unless if anyone would know it's the exact same one as the 2011-2014 Polaris sportsman 400. I didn't know if it was and hope someone can help me out. Also can I hear someone's thoughts on the superwinch 3000lb winch. Also I forgot to add that the plow was a 48" and since the etx is only 325cc I didn't know if it could handle bigger like a 54" plow. Thanks again in advance
I have a 2500lb KFI winch and 48" KFI plow on my ETX, used it last winter and worked great. I think you would be fine with a 54" plow, I wish mine was larger but got it on a promotion last winter. I have a long hilly country driveway and my machine did very well with no bogging down at all.

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
The SuperWinch #3000 will be a good size winch for your machine and plow duty/application. As for which plow.... I'd look into a MotoAlliance Denali Plow System, an American Mfg Eagle Plow Stytem or a KFI Plow System would all be good "mid mount" and "American Made" brand systems. The Warn appears to be a good "front mount" system also.

As for plow blade width..... Depending on the area you plow, I'd go with a 52-54" blade, but not a 60-72" blade. As with a 48" blade, you'll be driving over 'some' of your "plow tailings / wake" with a ETX machine that is 48" Wide.... when set in the "straight" position and will definitely be driving over it (packing it down) when the blade is at an angle!!! REMEMBER.... You'll be plowing in "Low Range", so you'll run out of traction, long before you'll run out of power!!

·
Super Moderator
7,049 Posts
Looks like I might be a little late in shopping for my new plow. Forecast for tomorrow is for 8"-14" of snow and up to 60 mph winds. Blizzard warnings are in place, and me with no plow. :damnit:
On a side note, I almost always plow in high. A little speed goes a long ways when trying to toss the snow out of the way to make room for the next storm.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Looks like I might be a little late in shopping for my new plow. Forecast for tomorrow is for 8"-14" of snow and up to 60 mph winds. Blizzard warnings are in place, and me with no plow. :damnit:
On a side note, I almost always plow in high. A little speed goes a long ways when trying to toss the snow out of the way to make room for the next storm.
l plowed in high range last winter with my ETX with no issues at all. The only time I used low was if I was trying to push a large pile of snow to make room.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
i would never plow in high ,and for speed you can easy go 25 miles in low.
but maybe this is why i change my belts every 5000 miles

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
i would never plow in high ,and for speed you can easy go 25 miles in low.
but maybe this is why i change my belts every 5000 miles
Exactly, low has plenty of speed to windrow the snow and push it off the inside of the plow, plus keeps the engine in the power range with the added rpm vs lugging it so to speak in high gear. I had my guys do same thing on big or heavy snow with the trucks, had them run in 4lo to keep transmission line pressure up so tranny didn't slip and burn itself up. Was one of the few guys I know that never had a tranny issue with my trucks in all the years we plowed just by being smart about it (and having guys who treated my stuff like it was their own).

Just easier using gear reduction to achomplish same work, I know some guys bog thru muck in high gear but slow/high load situations I prefer lower range, easier on machine that way. Now if your talking an inch or two of powdered fluff...then I don't think it matters much since isn't much resistance, but even with the trucks it was very seldom we windrowed anything since ultimately it's less productive than straight blading with a plow that can contain snow to place it...because you windrow until it's too deep to move and you spend alot of time going back and forth whittling that build up down to make it manageable again...vs a plow with wings or boxed ends that carries the snow and places it in 1 shot so each pass is completed.

Never been able to convince e guys who have never used a box plow or winged plow atv/truck/tractor/skidder/loaded otherwise; until they set up their plow/blade...and a 30% time reduction is pretty much the standard, and when you plow for income, you cut 30% off each site, that means you can take on more accounts and make more money for the same amount of time you used to spend plowing....but for the weekend warrior or personal driveway guys, they don't seem too concerned with efficiency so they will always argue what they have been doing without trying the smarter approach as the only way it can be done "we'll I have a long drive, well I have a wide drive"...yeah, we did 10-20 acre parking lots and straight bladed them all and got done quicker than when I had trucks lined up staggered behind each other just due to huuuuge windrow that had to be cut down after a few passes before work could begin again on task at hand.

·
Registered
588 Posts
When I plowed last week for the first time, I found 10 mph was the absolute fastest I ever went. And the snow was flying away pretty good at that rate. So I was in low the whole time, and likely I'll keep it there. I'd also recommend the Denali, it's what I bought and it's great so far.

·
Super Moderator
7,049 Posts
Maybe someday this weekend warrior will be as smart as some of the rest of you guys...
I have never burned a belt, or had any other issues from using high gear for 95% of my riding, including plowing. Just because everyone doesn't do things the same way doesn't mean that some are wrong, or smarter than anyone else.
Ya'll be careful you don't fall of of that horse. It's pretty high. :biglaugh:

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Maybe someday this weekend warrior will be as smart as some of the rest of you guys...
I have never burned a belt, or had any other issues from using high gear for 95% of my riding, including plowing. Just because everyone doesn't do things the same way doesn't mean that some are wrong, or smarter than anyone else.
Yep...nothing is ever wrong/bad...until it is :)
Being a crane operator I would lay down money you've seen exactly what I just stated more than once in your career.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have a superwinch 3000 and a Denali plow. I haven't had any problems with either of them. Can't beat em for the money.

·
Registered
87 Posts
VERY well said, I couldn't agree more! There is no right or wrong way, and I am not in a competition to see how fast I can get done, it's only my driveway. If I was doing it for the benefit of making money, then yes a different story for sure. The way I look at it it's my driveway, my machine, and my time, so I will plow as I please.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
sorry but you sold your ATVs with max 3600 miles,i don't call this proof your belt was lasting

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
sorry but you sold your ATVs with max 3600 miles,i don't call this proof your belt was lasting
Lol at that mind set. Do you understand why we have the building codes today that we have? It's because of the mind set you just displayed...well it worked alright for grandpa, uncle, whomever so it must be okay. Sometimes people get lucky but alot of times people were hurt, maimed, killed because "we never had a problem doing it that way before". Was personally doing a job with my company that ended up documenting all sorts of code violations the original home builder ignored for whatever reason that went to court because the new home owner got stuck with our repair bill 4x's what original work I bid was because we had to redo so much....and the idiot builder actually told the judge/plantiffs lawyer, "we'll we've been doing that for years and this is the first time I've ever heard of problems because of it." I took video and showed them 151 results of just because you got away with it once; or a whole bunch...doesn't mean that it's okay/right.

He ended up out of business and bankrupt once it was done....and 2 yrs later operating under different business name with his wife as the owner.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Looking for the same to fit a 500 EFI Sportsman with a Polaris winch. I the KFI a good unit? What should i expect to spend? Complete kit is abt $880 on eBay including shipping.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts