Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From what I have read it sounds like the new AC EPS system is a lot more like the Polaris type system than any of the other brand EPS models on the market. I think that is a smart move on the ACs part. Because I have either owned or road all the different EPS models on the market, and Polaris is by far my favorite of them all.

Here is a short article I found on it.

Arctic Cat Announces Six ATV Models with Power Steering for 2010

Arctic Cat Announces six ATV models for 2010 with EPS / Electronic Power Steering System
Thief River Falls, MN (1/15/2010) - Sometimes leading the industry with technology doesn’t always mean you were the first to the table. In terms of Electronic Power Steering (EPS), Arctic Cat is set to lead the way with six new models including the 550H1 and 700H1 models.

Arctic Cat’s Variable Assist EPS allows steering assistance to the ATV before it even starts to move at idle. This is a huge benefit to conserving the riders input energy when in 4wd, and especially when the differential lock is engaged. Arctic Cat EPS will reduce the torque necessary to steer the ATV when changing direction with loaded racks or navigating tough obstacles like rocks, deep mud or logs.

The variable assist system is driven by an electronic control unit (ECU) that measures steering input force versus tire resistance and vehicle speed, then provides appropriate assist to the steering column through an electric motor. The Arctic Cat power steering ECU program is designed to maintain a light steering input effort, but maintains enough feel so you have a better understanding of what the tire contact patch is doing in relation to the terrain. Arctic Cat EPS will keep the rider and the ATV connected which is lost on competitive units after sustained riding.

ATVriders.com Nick Nelson had the chance to put the Arctic Cat Power Steering sytem to the test in Moab, Utah, and a full review will be released within a few days.

About Arctic Cat
Arctic Cat Inc., based in Thief River Falls, Minn., designs, engineers, manufactures and markets all-terrain vehicles (ATVs) and snowmobiles under the Arctic Cat® brand name, as well as related parts, garments and accessories. Its common stock is traded on the Nasdaq National Market under the ticker symbol “ACAT.” More information about Arctic Cat and its products is available on the Internet at www.arcticcat.com

·
Registered
6,903 Posts
glad other manufactures are catching on. if anything this will just push polaris to be, just that much better

they still havent got that figured out though yet, have they?

:hahaha:
This is a huge benefit to conserving the riders input energy when in 4wd, and especially when the differential lock is engaged.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ya, I am always glad to see other mfgs improve there products. Like you said, it keeps others like Polaris striving to continue to improve there products as well.

The only real fault I find in the AC product is the lack of a smooth ride and hard steering. They leave off the sway bar, to get more clearance, but that makes them have to stiffen up the suspension so much to compensate, that they ride rough. Now that they are addressing hard steering with this new EPS system, then all they need to work on is the rough ride then I would maybe have an intrest in owning another one. The 4wd system is ok either way for me, the polaris is more user friendly, but either one would work for my needs.

·
Registered
765 Posts
i agree with you on the rough ride and steering. my best friend has an 08 arctic cat 400 and after driving my polaris i couldn't go with an arctic cat. i think the ac is a good looking machine but thats about it. my buddy and i trail ride together and he gets fatigue far sooner than i do. i would like to test drive a new ac with power steering. i also like ac's metal rack and speed rack system. i think the metal racks are way easier to keep clean and are tougher.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ya, they have a similar system to the lock n Ride Polaris system, but with metal racks. If they could just get over there huge ground clearance theem and get with reality and build something that rides smooth and handles well, I think they would give Polaris a run for there money. But as it is, you have to really want to get beat to he!! out on the trail to want to ride an AC.

I hope that if AC puts EPS in there flag ship Tcat 950, that might spur Polaris to bump the 850 up to a 1000. I have been told the 850 motor was originally designed to be a 1000. But I believe the weak sales of the Tcat lead them to play it safe and drop it to an 850 untill they need to make the jump. I can say that had my TCat had EPS, I might still own it, I would have been much more inclined to take more extream measures to find some after market springs and shocks to get it to ride smooth, as it was no EPS and a rough ride. It had a very short life in my stable. It was sort of fast, and looked cool, but that was about it.

·
Registered
765 Posts
i noticed you use to own a polaris rzr, what made you get rid of it? i have a ranger right now and love it. i bought the ranger for the farm, but took it to colorado and then tennessee to ride in the mountains. its fun to ride, but just not the same as an atv. i do like the fact that i can load my wife and son and all the stuff we'd ever need. i've been tempted to buy a rzr but i can't ride a sxs any where in missouri accept on private property.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Most of the places around here, the trails are to narrow, and when I was going somewhere I could ride it, I had to plan to take our big trailer and burn a alot more fuel and hassle with trying to fit everything on there with this huge side by side eating up a tone of room. For the most part it was fun at the sand dunes, but way more hassle than it was worth the rest of the time, and since we only go to the dunes 3 or 4 times a year anymore, it was not worth it to keep it for that. I can have just as much fun riding my 850 as I could the RZR, other then it was nice for little ones to be all strapped in nice and safe, as apposed to trying to make sure they are hanging on tight on the back of a quad. So I without a doubt know there are good points about them, it just was not a good fit for me.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts