Polaris ATV Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Wondering if this could be a tmap issue, I have a very similar problem on a 2015 850 SP, 230 miles and less than 50 hours. Started sputtering this spring at low rpm and is getting a bit worse, idle is rough at times and low rpm it sputters and feels like it has a loss of power. Once I get the speed up and higher RPM it seems to do ok. I only use non ethanol gas and drained the tank, ran it dry twice and fresh gas, changed fuel pump and battery and still runs like crap. Seems to come and go and runs ok at times then will go to crap and sputter bad, have had a few backfires. Pulled the plugs and one seems to be in good shape and the other has a white tip tellig me a cylinder is running lean. any thoughts

·
Registered
2 Posts
did you ever get your issue figured out? i am having the same problem. i have a 2018 xp 4 1000 highlifter and mine has been running intermittently like this since i bought it. The dealer has no clue why. They told me my fuel pump was fine but are now back tracking because i keep having the issue. I brought up the TMAP issue and they said no way could it be that. This past weekend it was hot and i took it out. I ran faily hard in high for 6 miles and when i stopped it died. No codes. Starts right back up but backfires a lot at low rpm and when i come to a stop it wont idle and keeps dying. It shut off on me 10 tims in 2 miles. if you let it cool down it seems to run a little better. i ordered a bunch of parts(fuel pump, tmap sensor and new wiring harness, injectors and wiring harnesses) Im gonna start with the cheapest part first and keep replacing things till i figure it out. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
9,789 Posts
did you ever get your issue figured out? i am having the same problem. i have a 2018 xp 4 1000 highlifter and mine has been running intermittently like this since i bought it. The dealer has no clue why. They told me my fuel pump was fine but are now back tracking because i keep having the issue. I brought up the TMAP issue and they said no way could it be that. This past weekend it was hot and i took it out. I ran faily hard in high for 6 miles and when i stopped it died. No codes. Starts right back up but backfires a lot at low rpm and when i come to a stop it wont idle and keeps dying. It shut off on me 10 tims in 2 miles. if you let it cool down it seems to run a little better. i ordered a bunch of parts(fuel pump, tmap sensor and new wiring harness, injectors and wiring harnesses) Im gonna start with the cheapest part first and keep replacing things till i figure it out. Good luck.

Make sure you clean and die-electric grease all electrical connections.

·
Premium Member
9,789 Posts
Also make sure the battery terminals are good and tight. What voltage do you have at the battery with the engine running @3,000rpm?? Should have between 13.5-14.5VDC!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Voltage is fine and terminals are tight. This crap started on my very first ride with the machine and has been ongoing intermittently since. It’s ridiculous to pay that kinda money have this stuff happen with no input from the dealer. I did have some misfire codes early on and a running lean code a few times. I changed my belt and no more codes but still acting the same.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts