Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 1998 Big Boss is making a racket - lt appears the front drive chain is loose. There is a bottom chain guard and it appears the chain is bumping against the guard making bounce around and making a helluva racket.

Do you think it's just a loose chain and that I could remove a link to remedy this?

any help appreciated! I need to get this fixed pronto b/c we have a big snow storm coming and I'll need to get it out and play.

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
If it's stretched you can take a link out. But it will need to be replaced soon. When they get worn that bad it's not long til the end comes. Check the teeth on your sprockets too.

·
Registered
2007 500x2 le
851 Posts
Can you not just tighten the chain useing the tensioner ??

·
Registered
944 Posts
If it's stretched too much to tighten properly then it's probably time to replace the chain. Taking out a link works " somewhat " BUT usually the links themselves are too long at that point and will quickly ruin both of your sprockets since they're too long to fit down into the sprockets properly. Check your sprocket's teeth and see if they're getting pointy/sharp looking....a sure sign of excessive wear. They and the chain would need to be replaced then.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts