Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at my wheeler from passenger side I just noticed a small clear rubber line dangling. There seems to be drips of fuel coming from it. on further inspection it seems to be coming from the carb and there is what appears to be a check valve in line with it near the carb.
For the life of me I have looked in the tech manual and all over and can not find where this should be connected to? ATV runs fine but I have noticed a gas smell when it has been parked in the garage . never see any fuel on the ground so it is not dripping too much.
any idea where this should be connected to?
Polaris Sportsman 500HO 2001

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
It's a float bowl overflow tube. Should run from the float bowl to the bottom of the atv. If there is fuel dripping from it (which there shoudn't be) you could have an issue with the float or needle and seat.

Rather be riding, instead I'm using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok that makes sense. I s there an easy fix for that? I am trying to sell this machine at the moment so should I bother with it since it is not affecting the operation of it? I would tell the prospective buyer about it if it is not something i can fix?

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
It's pretty easy if you're mechanically inclined. Just have to find a carb rebuild kit for your model and be sure to set the float at the right height. A service manual will help too, there are a few around the forum.

Every now and then this happens due to gum build up in the carb. You can try to run some seafoam through it and see if it improves.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
tried the sea foam....

tried sea foam. and put some fresh gas in it. now there seems to be an actual puddle of gas under it? would the sea foam have made the gas leak faster?
or is it just my luck that it knows i was trying to sell it?

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
Just your luck.... it knows!!

Shutting the fuel valve off after use should temporarily solve the leaking fuel issue while parked (by eliminating the oncoming supply).... but to solve the problem a carb rebuild will be required as mentioned above!!

·
8,951 Posts
If its running good there's no reason to "rebuild" the whole carb. Sounds like all it needs is a needle valve and seat or may just need cleaned and perhaps an o ring on the seat.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts