Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,my 1998 sportsman 500 has a loose steering column.There is some play in the bushing down at the end of the shaft.It looks like a rivet is missing from one side of the bracket that holds the bushing.Replacing the rivet seems pretty straightforward,but what is the easiest way to get it all apart.Thanx in advance.

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Welcome to the board!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No,you can look down the end of steering column & see movement.Tie rod ends are tight.It looks like some type of bearing at the end of column.

·
Registered
38 Posts
My 01 had a bearing at the end, it was never an issue though as it was a 6205 i believe and pretty big for the little movement it takes. There is a cup though that the bearing sits in that can get loose or pounded out, also the nut on the bottom may have loosened up a bit. I didn't think they had this in 98 though? pretty sure 01 was the first year. If its not a bearing its a bushing and likely worn out. To get the steering column completely out, it is a lot of work getting stuff out of the way so it can be pulled out. You may be lucky enough if theres enough slack in cables and wires to just prop it up a bit to change out the bushing, other than that and the upper bushing, theres really nothing else on the column to wear out, if your rod ends are good

1 - 7 of 7 Posts