Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, new here but ive lurked for a long time. Bike is a 2004 Sportsman 600 twin.

I was getting a lot of water in the gear box going through deep water but not so much in the air box. Problem im having is that I snorkeled the clutch running two 1.5" hoses up to the headlight pod. I left the air box alone except for installing a foam air filter and sealed the box. Now, it seems to run fine except when at full throttle and at near top speed it seems like its not getting enough air (or fuel) because it begins to sputter a bit. Didnt have the problem before now.

I plan to put new plugs in, change the oil and filter (need to do anyway), and run some 93 octane to clean out the carb but dont know what else to do. I thought about adjusting the carb but dont know if there is a adjustment knob or where it is.

Any ideas? Thanks

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Welcome to the board!:med:

·
Registered
94 Posts
Ever try running some Seafoam thru it? This stuff is GREAT! I've used it not only in my vehicle but in my commercial mower. It cleans em up and makes em purrrrrr like a kitten. Could not hurt to try it.

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
The air filter its probably the main cause. It likely flows a little different, probably better than the stock one so you are a little lean, especially up top where it is really pulling air in. The 600s were also a bit lean from the get go from what I've heard. Step up 2-3 sizes on your main jet and that should get your power back.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ill try the seafoam first but I think Ridinagain is right. Is changing out the jets difficult? And where do you recommend I get the parts from?

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
Dealer would probably be the easiest place to get jets from. They are only $3-4 each. All you have to do its remove the carb bowl and change it out. Very easy.

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
Look at the spark plugs, that will tell you which way you nbeed to go on the jetting.

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
White/grey-lean
black/wet-rich
Cardboard color-just right

·
Registered
805 Posts
Put tape over a quarter of the air inlet. If it gets better its lean. If it gets worse, its rich. Another way is does it run better when warm or hot? Running better when cool is a rich condition, better when hot would point to lean. You cant read a plug when its old. Also, if its not revving cleanly it will change how your plug looks. Almost impossible to read a plug on any engine that is not at least running correctly under load.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts