Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 400 Sportsman 4x4 and when I put it in reverse, it loses power and sometimes dies. It does great going forward. I cannot back a trailer, it will die everytime. hep me! thanks del

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
2004 sorry, I keep forgetting to type some things in. :smashfreakB: thanks for the reply! <>< del

·
Registered
6,903 Posts
ahh, its okay. its easy to leave stuff like that out.

im not too sure, but i do know that each gear has a certain amount of ohms...have you tried calling a dealer to talk with the service manager? i have to say this isnt super common

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I dont know where the button is or I don't know what it is. If you are serious, please tell me what and where it is. thanks del

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Look for a yellow button on the left side of handlebar below the light switch.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks! I just thought that button changed the display to show tach, miles and such. I appreciate your help. thanks again! del

·
Registered
13 Posts
three words REVERSE OVERRIDE BUTTON!
Why would the reverse override cause this problem? Mine just started losing power or acting like it is missing when I put it in reverse but it never did this before now. Any ideas on what could be causing this? If it isn't raining tomorrow I will see how it reacts with the reverse override button....my unit is a 2000 sportsman 500 4x4. Thanks
Jeff

·
Registered
919 Posts
It's a safety feature. Your wheeler will only go about 7mph in reverse before the ECU limits the fuel supply, which makes it cut out and possibly die. There is also no drive to the front wheels in reverse. The reverse override button allows full power AND 4x4 in reverse.

Stew

1 - 12 of 12 Posts