Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I was at my "summer house" for a week after christmas. It was about -5 to -10Celsius these days. Running on tracks and dont use breakes wery often(low speed), but one day running downhill i needed the brake but nothing happens! Both hand and foot-brake feelt normal, but without effect. Later when i get home i took it in my garage to dry up and then got out driving and now outdoor temperature is about -15c, and No problems!? Whats wrong? Water in brake fluid?

Polaris 850XP -12

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
Since you stated the lever felt normal when you had no braking, I would suspect that the calipers had enough snow build up that they simply froze and would not actuate. Possible cause could have been from having the machine indoors, then taking it out. The calipers were still warm enough that the snow seized them.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Since you stated the lever felt normal when you had no braking, I would suspect that the calipers had enough snow build up that they simply froze and would not actuate. Possible cause could have been from having the machine indoors, then taking it out. The calipers were still warm enough that the snow seized them.
Possible, but not acceptable... I think the brakes should have enough power to not get stuck by ice on the calipers. Newer happens on the car?!

Polaris 850XP -12

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
You may have had a layer of snow between the pads and the disk that was acting as a lubricant. The fact that you warmed it up and it went away would lead me to believe that. I have also noticed when you get a good layer of frost on the disk its like you have no brakes as well. You see this on snowmobiles until they get warm.

·
Super Moderator
7,077 Posts
I would have to agree with inrbigness. When it is cold and you are in snow and/or water, you can get a thin layer of ice on the rotors if you don't use the brakes much. Happens to me all the time in the winter. If you know you are going to be needing the brakes, try dragging the brake a little to build up a little heat and thaw them out before going down a steep hill.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I dragged the brakes for several minutes to test after, but they never started to actuate.

Polaris 850XP -12

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Well then I would think you are back to moisture in the system. What else can it be? Mine work all winter long so I know they don't care if its cold.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts