Polaris ATV Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Sportsman 570 EPS
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone. I am not proud to admit that I stupidly lost a 4 inch piece of 1/4" clear tubing into the crankcase via the dipstick hole. (Fitting name as I feel like a dip stick!) Try as I might, I have been unsuccessful in retrieving it. Can I leave it in there without worrying about it impeding the oil flow suction? Or, will I need to pull the motor?? Any suggestions/ideas will be much appreciated!

·
Premium Member
2008 800 ho efi, 2019 850 SP premium
15,182 Posts
Welcome to the forum

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
My advice is to get it out of there one way or another - start disassembly. No way would I leave it in there or run it with it in there. All I would be thinking about is it being chewed up into pieces and eventually little pieces lodging themselves in bad spots stopping flow.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Try a inspection camera. Some will connect to your phone for a better picture. Then after you locate it try fishing for it with wire with hook on the end etc. Good luck and don't think your the only one that has something similar happen to them.

·
Registered
106 Posts
One more idea. Assuming all the oil has been drained out, what about attached another small tube to your vaccum (just duct tape it to the bigger vac hose), and see if the inserted vacuum tube will coerce it to come closer to you.

·
Premium Member
19’ 850SP Camo. MtAiry Maryland
3,841 Posts
I was thinking the same, bore scope, wire or pick up tool, make sure all oil is drained, maybe even flush it with diesel or kerosene so the piece of tubing can move around easier. Go Fishing!

·
Registered
2017 Sportsman 570 EPS
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hi Everyone. Thanks a lot for your feedback! I tried every trick in the book and was unable to fish the hose out. I pulled the engine yesterday. In doing so I discovered the throttle body adapter had failed. Ripped open beside the hose clamp. The motor ran well but did back fire once in a while when starting. Maybe I was meant to drop the hose in!

·
Registered
730 Posts
Hi Everyone. Thanks a lot for your feedback! I tried every trick in the book and was unable to fish the hose out. I pulled the engine yesterday. In doing so I discovered the throttle body adapter had failed. Ripped open beside the hose clamp. The motor ran well but did back fire once in a while when starting. Maybe I was meant to drop the hose in!
How difficult was it to pull the motor out? How did you do it?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts