Polaris ATV Forum banner

Lots of negatives for the xp 850 on here

3K views 23 replies 14 participants last post by  Robooo 
#1 ·
Somebody please tell me i didnt mess up buying my 14 sportsman xp850.

#2 ·
Xp's are just high maintainence if you take them offroad. Is what it is.
Or if you stick to gravel road type trails you should get a long service.life out of it without much fuss...just keep up on your maintainence.

#5 ·
I had to laugh at that, a ATV(ALL terrain vehicle) should stay on gravel...

Anyway i have a 2013 scrambler 850 xp, i love it but it kinda is a pile...
i have i think 1200 miles on it, with a number of issues

Had to replace every single bushing on the bike.
Both front wheel bearings
My rear right a-arm mount broke off the frame
Snapped both front axles
Run away switch issue

This has all been in the last 200 miles

Also had to replace the steering stem because it had so much play(revised part, doesnt apply to you)
Also broke my speed sensor off cause the bike to enter limp mode, i believe a stick caught it
I came from a grizzly 1900 miles and one wheel bearing and just brake pads, granted the polaris is a better bike all around, they could be a bit more durable. i will be the first to tell you i dont baby my atv, i ride it, thats what its made for. I take care of it though-services, done. if it needs a part it gets it, fully washed detailed, lubed and gone over after every ride.

#3 ·
I love my 850. It has been really reliable. Only changed 1 wheel bearing in 1200 miles.

I have never had it on a battery tender and always starts in -20 to plow.

I take good care of my machine tho

#17 ·
1200 miles?

To me that is not acceptable. My bud has a 850XP about 4000 miles. He's had to change both rear bearings twice and hubs once.

We drive the same places at the same time and my 1000 is still on original tight bearings at 5400 miles.

Are the bearings just junk? Or is there a weird force on them to wear them out so fast?

#8 ·
My 14' 850 was great, hands down my favorite ATV before I went to the side x sides.

#10 ·
I wouldn't say there is more negativity towards the 850 than there is to any other Machine on this forum. Everyone has there favorites. Knows someone or is someone who has had trouble with one machine, or another. The forum is about sharing knowledge. Granted some of it is hearsay, But over all most people are coming from a good place in trying to help each other make a good decision on their purchase.

There are always going to be lemons, but I think over all based on the number of machines sold, the number of the forum with bad luck is minuscule. However, if you arm yourself with knowledge and don't let a little maintenance scare you, you should be fine and treated quite well by your 850.

#11 ·
As been said, 850 is a great ride but it has maintenance issues. 1000 (hard) miles on my 2014 and front bushings are going and I have replaced all ball joints. Neighbors grizzly has 2500 hard miles (same trails) and he broke one cv joint and that's about it. His bushings r right as they were brand new. If Polaris would improve the bushings like kawi or grizzly has, it would be the cats meow. That being said the 850 is a lot of fun whereas the grizzly is just a boring ride to me.

#12 ·
Overheating during trail riding wasnt tractor duty
Cv boot clamps sliding off boots after a trail ride wasnt tractor duty..not broken, just slide off
Power steering going in and out when riding in snow with the guys wasnt tractor duty lol
Clutch being jacked direct from dealer from purchase was prior to any work duties

Ive only owned 2 polaris sportsmans, 2000 500cc and this 2014 550. Guess now we have the 2004/5 trail boss 330s for wife daughter at this point too, but all the stuff ive dealt with on this new one to date is sad when i think about how much more the old one went through and did for work duties and it never batted an eye, just kept on keepin on and actually the drag strip i lived at most of my adult life is still using it to date...tires are bald but no need for lugs for out there.

Snow plowing
Hauling saws, dragging logs, hauling whatever...thought thats why i bought a utility quad vs a sport quad....and mid sized tractors are expensive...and slow:)

#13 ·

Hmmmmm.....

Issues with being overloaded? Maybe

#15 ·
What quad doesnt handle a front snow plow?
Cab is all of 20lbs total since its just aluminum frame work and a tarp with windows
Pull plow, well maybe 150lbs there

So whats oveoaded? How did that affect clutch being jacked from factory, brake line bracket being broken with 0miles on it, cv boot clamps that some weeney arm didnt clamp down tight enough, etc....

Im not bitching about worn a arm bushing, excesive rotor/pad wear...talking about a flagrent lemon machine that lacks the durability its predessor had....the old sportsman was Rocky....these new junk assed xp's are that russia, pretty and using lastest greatest, but not built to last

#14 · (Edited)
Owning several XPs and a total of 8 in the group I ride with only one has been back to the dealer for warranty work since 2011. That was for an EPS problem that turned out to be a bad battery. One thing I can't say that for is the two 570s in the group, but that's another topic. Grease it a few times a year I do mine every 4 months. Change the oil every year or sooner depending on miles. I strip mine down every fall and clean, inspect and torque a few important bolts. Takes about 3 hours. Change all fluids every other year.

Don't beat the hell out if it and you will get tired of it before it gets tired of you.

Keep in mind that most do not come in here and post regular updates about how great or trouble free their machine has been. Most come in when the run into a problem.

#18 ·
The 850 is an absolutely awesome trail machine. However, they have their issues, just like any other machine has it's issues. Rode my 850 for 4+ years, and a little over 3,600 miles. I don't ride hard, but I ride hard country. My frame failed, twice, in the spot that many failed, right behind the right side transmission mount. Also had a timing chain tensioner break, and a slipped timing gear, both within about three months of each other, and both required an engine rebuild, both covered under warranty. Other than that, I replaced all bushings at 1700 miles and at 3,500 miles. Replaced brake pads once. Never needed to replace any hubs, bearings, ball joints etc. It's as good of a trail machine as any, and better than most.

#19 ·
First, most people post about the problems they have, for every issue posted there are many more that never had an issue. They don't post" everything is working fine". I have two 850's and love them, I don't beat them, but ride very rocky trails in the Colorado Mountains so it puts a strain on parts, but I've had no issues, except someone crashing one a month ago. I have 1,800 miles on mine and the bushings have a very slight slop, I'll replace them soon. The other is pretty new, only 400 miles, plow snow with it at our cabin, no issues.

#20 ·
Take care of it and you will like it for a long time. Bearing, bushings, ball joints are, or can be, normal wear items or attributed to bad manufacturing. Frame breaks, not so much, I don't hear a lot about fram problems for the XPs, wonder if anything has changed from the early model years?

#21 ·
They have definitely done some changes to the frame over the years. I remember hearing of quite a few cracked frames as bob described in the pre 2013 XP's but not so much anymore. one former member here noted additional bracing on the 2013 or 2014 (can't remember which) model yr XPs.

#22 ·
I would say they must have addressed the frame breaking issue because I don't hear of that particular problem anymore. It was not an uncommon problem for the '09-'12 850 XP's. Now the frame issue appears to be at the a-arm attachment points. No reason why a person should have to invest in Cecco braces unless they were going to be riding competitively. Even then you shouldn't "need" them, but would be insurance against the problem.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.