Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a few questions about my new(well new to me) 04 polris 600. first off i had used this forum a couple days ago and got some really good advice that help lead me to just what i was looking for. thanks blueline15!! ok, i want to put itp s212 wheels on it, but i want to use my stock tires because they have over 75% of tread left. so if i get new wheels can i get bigger tires later? i know when your talking truck tires bigger wheels = wider rims. so is this true for 4wheelers, and if so how big will i be able to go with my tire size later? also anything bad about having alum. wheels vs steel? also if i go up to the next notch on my shocks will it lift it our just make it a rougher ride? Ive been into a couple of other threads and notice some people have a link for a kit that will make all 3 lights come on. will this make all 3 come on in hi or low or both?

·
Registered
6,903 Posts
got a couple of clarification questions for ya

first i am assuming these are the rims you are looking at ITP SS212

by bigger, do you mean just wider, or you want to get a bigger rim size as well? keep in mind if you go wider the the 8 on the front you will probably need wheel spacers as wider wheels will probably rub on the struts. tell me what size you are thinking about.

nothing bad about having alum IMO except for the cost. other then that, they weigh less, they resist rust (get a few scratches on a steel wheel and u have rust issues) and resist bending as much as a steel one. if you bend an alum rim, you probably would have bent a steel one too. i would go with alum if money was no issue there.

going the next notch will not lift the atv, just stiffen up the springs. the only reason to do this is if you like the stiffer ride, or have the atv loaded down with weight. you can get lift kits, but keep in mind that a lift kit changes the angle of the driveshafts to a much more severe angle, and that speeds up u-joint wear and also boot rips. if you are only looking for an inch or two of raise, you can go from the stock 12" rims to a 14" rim and that will give you about 1" of raise without changing the angle of the driveshafts.

havent seen the light kit but i know there is a really inexpensive relay that you can wire in to put all 3 lights on. i will see if i can find a link to it or something. i believe when the switch was on low it was all 3 lights and on high it was just the high beam, but you might be able to wire it in the other way. i will have to get back to you on that one

·
Registered
6,903 Posts
here we go, this is all it takes

You will need to purchase a standard 4 pin, 12v relay, 4 pieces of 16 gauge wire about 8" long, 4 female crimp on spade connectors (for connection of wires to relay), 4 wire splice connectors.(they are usually blue and you simply insert the wires and squeeze with pliers, then fold back the protective locking cover)

Open the pod and locate the wiring listed below

Relay terminal #30 connects to Polaris green wire (low beams)

Relay terminal #87 connects to Polaris red wire (10 amp protected circuit at the lighter plug)

Relay terminal #86 connects to Polaris wire yellow wire (high beam)

Relay terminal #85 connects to Polaris brown wire (ground)

Use dielectric grease or liquid tape at all electrical connections to prevent corrosion.

They way this functions, is that when you select high beam, you are powering up the relay to give 12v to the low beam circuit from Polaris's 10amp 12v protected circuit. (No fuse needed) Enjoy.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok i did leave out a few details didnt i? i have 12" stock tires and i dont think the add money for 14's is worth an inch. im going to be using my stock tires for right now. i dont want to change any factory settings, like drive shaft or do anything like lifts. when my tires wear out i just wont to got to as big of a size as i can with out hitting or changeing anything. im not stuck on alum. wheels but cant seem to find any descent steel wheels outher than stock. thanks for the wiring diagram ive got just what i need here at the house im going to give it a try. one more queat. in your opion would it be a good idea to rasie the front when i use my snow ploy this winter? or is the factory setting just fine?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
just tryed the headlight wiring and it worked perfectly!!!! only took about 45min (less if i knew where all my stuf was) THANKS!!!!!

·
Registered
6,903 Posts
you can typically go an inch or two wider tires then what you have stock without problems. you would probably need wheel spacers for the front at least, but thats really easy to do. find a good dealer that is willing to work with you. if you buy rims and tires and have them install them they should help you out (cost wise) somewhat and also be a lot more willing to make sure you are happy and you have no rubbing issues. i can not remember off the top of my head the amount of clearance on the 04 frame you have for bigger tires.

as far as plowing, i would absolutly crank those front springs up as much as you can while you have the plow on. get a good spanner wrench and do it. it will keep the atv from sagging the front end, and keep reduce wear on your front tires also.

glad the light thing worked out for you!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts