Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I was out yesterday and playing around on ice and mud and noticed that when I had my 800 efi in 2wd and was spinning in mud or ice I would get a loud bang like the 4wd was trying to engage?? Any idea why it would do this? It only did this when I was really giving it gas and the rear tires were spinning.

Cheers!!

·
Registered
6,903 Posts
*This may not be exactly what yours looks like inside, but its a close enough representation. Since I'm not sure of year or manufacture date of your machine.*

In the diagram below, in circle #12. The the most basic way, when you hit the 4x4 button, it sends an electrical signal down to the front gearcase, which basically causes the rollers to "wedge" on the armature plate, transferring the power to the front wheels. The roller cage, #12 just keeps the rollers in line.

An Achilles tendon of the machine is just that. Spinning the rear wheels really fast in 2x4. You can get the rear wheels spinning fast enough, that it wants to try to manually engage the front end even with the switch off. It is the same as if you tried to put it into 4x4 while spinning out on ice or mud, it would put so much force on the armature plate, that the roller cage would break because it is made of plastic.

The bang you heard was probably the rollers wedging hard into the armature plate. Thats also why it would feel like the 4x4 was trying to engage...it was. If the 4x4 works, you should be fine though.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts