Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good Day,
I have 2016 Highlifter 850
I've noticed under load (Low Range, AWD mode), occasionally i will hear some loud clicking when pulling through some deep mud etc
Its a new machine to me, but has approx 600 miles on it. Other than that everything sounds normal.
Is this something that this front diff in this model of Polaris does?
Or perhaps an axle is starting to go?
Thanks
JP

·
Registered
281 Posts
Could be an axle, but are you running over things in the mud? Breaking them, making the noise? Axles usually make noise turning, but if they are bad off, then yeah, they'll make noise going straight.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just mud, seems to happen during some wheel spin, then abrupt stop, or when the tires start really digging through mud/clay.
Thanks

·
Registered
290 Posts
Have you drained your diffs? Whats your fluid look like?

I have about the same number of miles on mine and ive replaced all the seals in the front and rear diff due to water/grit/sand getting in the seals and fluid either leaking our or turning to milk

If the fluid looks/feels normal and theres no metal shavings id check axles, boots, bearings and look for any play or grinding that doesnt seem normal (i also had to replace all of those not too long ago)

I love my mud machine but it takes a lot of TLC to keep running lol

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Changed both diffs and oil was normal looking, so thats ok. I'll check the other items mentioned. Prob just going to upgrade the axles in time. Very happy otherwise with this unit.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Found this issue; main drive chain in the transmission is stretched; and as a topper the smaller reverse chain broke while pulling it into the garage. 800 miles on unit. 🤔😕😕

1 - 6 of 6 Posts