Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2006 hawkeye 300, has a loud knock and sounds like something is rolling around loose in the clutch area, it only does it when giving it throttle or driving, how does one pull the cover off and what am i looking for? a pic of a cover off would help a lot

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
They have a different style of clutch than the bigger models, it's likely god some worn roller weights in it. The clutch cover comes off with a handful of bolts, then you will have a good look from there. Will likely have to pull the top of the primary clutch off as well. It's all pretty obvious once you get in there and start on it.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They have a different style of clutch than the bigger models, it's likely god some worn roller weights in it. The clutch cover comes off with a handful of bolts, then you will have a good look from there. Will likely have to pull the top of the primary clutch off as well. It's all pretty obvious once you get in there and start on it.
got it all off tonight, the belt was extremely loose, and after removing the clutch i started it and the the noise was 100% definitely the clutch, now i might as well replace it all while im in there,

·
Registered
30 Posts
I don't think you would have to replace the whole thing, if the sheaves are not grooved you should just need the rollers and the flyweights that push the sheaves together, 1/8th the cost. New belt would be worth it also. You'd also be best to see how much wobble the movable sheave has over the shaft of the stationary one.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well it took forever to get the cover off, once i did, i noticed the bearing on the end was wedged onto the shaft with this inbetween the shaft and the inside of the bearing

once i worked the bearing off, the outer cap of the clutch was sloppy, the belt was soo loose i could touch the top and bottom together too

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Looks like you need some parts. Check around on a rebuild. It's probably going to be more cost effective to replace the whole clutch.
ive spotted a few on egay for about 150 bucks for the primary and secondary, then il get a belt, should i stick with a polaris belt or is any belt decent?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Ya, that's a little more worn out than a few rollers.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ya, that's a little more worn out than a few rollers.
the shaft itself looks in great shape, it just looks like the clutch parts are all wore out, the secondary pulley doesnt look bad, should i just replace it as well?

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
It's a gamble buying used. You might end up with exactly what your starting with. If you can't inspect it in person I would look to rebuild what you have if possible or go new. I've always had the best results with oem belts.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ordered an oem belt, but for 400 bucks for a new one, i might try to find a clutch in better shape then mine is

·
Registered
30 Posts
That piece is just the bushing that the movable side slides on isn't it? get a new bushing or have a machine shop make one, as long as the sheaves and other parts are in good shape I wouldn't get the whole thing. Unless you can find a truly good condition used one at a cheap enough price. There will be a lot of wore out junk for sale on ebay.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That piece is just the bushing that the movable side slides on isn't it? get a new bushing or have a machine shop make one, as long as the sheaves and other parts are in good shape I wouldn't get the whole thing. Unless you can find a truly good condition used one at a cheap enough price. There will be a lot of wore out junk for sale on ebay.
heres what im workin with, it was all gunked up pretty good so we put it all in the parts washer for the evening

all these appear to have grooves wore in them

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
can someone tell me the difference between the red or yellow rollers? i have a chance to buy all new rollers for 20 bucks, but they are the red ones,

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
Should be different weights. The rollers act like the clutch weights/ramps in the more common primary used on the bigger machines. You need the same ones you have, unless you are going to larger tires, then some changes are in order. Be sure you can replace that bushing before you buy stuff you might not need to. In my experience, once a bushing comes out like that a new one will not stay installed and the clutch need to be replaced.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Should be different weights. The rollers act like the clutch weights/ramps in the more common primary used on the bigger machines. You need the same ones you have, unless you are going to larger tires, then some changes are in order. Be sure you can replace that bushing before you buy stuff you might not need to. In my experience, once a bushing comes out like that a new one will not stay installed and the clutch need to be replaced.
oh so that shouldnt have come apart like that?

edit- wait.. what bushing are you talking about?

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have to admit that I've been away from Polaris atv clutches since my '96 scramblers and your clutch is completely different than any I was used to, but I can see how it works.

That ring of metal that was wedged inside the bearing must be a thin wear sleeve that was pressed over the shaft, I'm guessing by the looks of it, maybe it is something different), it should be replaceable if the shaft didn't get worn and it won't press on anymore. Those are usually used when a shaft gets worn out and someone machines the shaft down .04-.05" then those sleeves bring the size back up to correct size, instead of welding it up. The brass bushing inside that sheave in your picture is the one I'm talking about replacing also or have one made, Being a machinist it's a ten minute job but I can't say how much it would be to buy. That bushing will take out any wobble and allow nice and smooth clutch action.

Those weights need to be replaced with the same ones(that probably why someone had them for sale cheap) If the red are lighter it'll allow the engine to rev more and slow the clutch down so if adding bigger/more aggressive tires the motor can keep its power to turn them. I used to do a lot of modifying weights to really change the clutch characteristics to gain wheel speed and takeoff, also so the clutch could keep up with modded motors.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
well when the new belt gets here, imma put it back together and see how it sounds all cleaned up with a new belt, honestly i think the belt was soo stretched it was causing it to slap the housing

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
well when the new belt gets here, imma put it back together and see how it sounds all cleaned up with a new belt, honestly i think the belt was soo stretched it was causing it to slap the housing
put the new belt on, and the rattling is still there, but isnt as loud, sounds like somethings rolling around in there when i come to a stop, will just replacing the rollers fix this or do i need everything?

·
Registered
70 Posts
is there anybody out there ....
I have a 300cc 2007 polaris hawkeye . 4x4
The clutch was making noise .. then after several runs it was making more noisy . got scared . Took everything apart .

Rollers looked ok and sheeves . belt was still good . so I think

I cleannes everything and replaces the housing bearing ,.
Was still making noise after all was put back together ... But was running fine
Now outr of the blue no warning . Won`t go forward or backward . Noise from the clutch dosen`t seem to be as loud . I will take it apart tonight ,.

Any thoughts
????

Thu

lou

1 - 20 of 31 Posts