Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys i recently had a roll over on my '05 sportsman 500 and ever since it occasionally makes an extremely loud slap noise from the engine when i rev up its not the drivetrain as it does it in neutral as well as in drive. Any ideas? My polaris shop are a bunch of blockhead crooks who will charge me 1200$ to look at my quad for two weeks. Can anyone help me get started on things to check that could possibly make this noise?'

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
:dito: Belt could be slapping the cover, motor may have shifted after roll over. Check motor mounts as well, gently use a pry bar and see how far engine can be displaced. Just a few thoughts, good luck.

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Like stated above, sounds like your belt.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I just replaced the belt on my 04 sportsman 500 and after about 30 mins of play time i heard the noise again. Could this be belt related again or just normal noise?

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
Did you use an OEM belt??

Rather be riding, instead I'm using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9 Posts
Yeah, got it from a Polaris dealer this morning. Haven't taken the cover off again to look at the belt again yet.

Sent from my MB870

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
Were there any marks on the inside of the cover from it getting slapped by the belt? If it's hitting the cover then something is off.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts