Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my '96 500 Sportsman...

When riding, either fast or slow, forward or reverse, the thing whines from the front and the rear. Loud enough you hear the whine and not the exhaust if you're on the seat.

Is this normal?? If not, what do I do about it? The fluids are all full and Polaris-approved, and everything works perfectly, I'm just not sure of the sound. Don't know if it's supposed to have the whine or not, and there's no one close with a similar machine for me to compare. I've owned the machine a while now, and it's always had this noise, I just finally remembered to ask about it.

Thanks in advance!!

-J

·
Registered
441 Posts
it could just be your cvt , the bigger the quad -the bigger the whine .

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Pony. I kinda' figured it was normal for these things, but thought I'd ask anyway. This is my first PoPo, so better safe than sorry.

Thanks again! :beerchug:

-J

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
I have a whine from the rear when the wife is on the rig.:pfeif::screams::tapedshut:

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
:hahaha:

Better hope she doesn't read the forums!!!

-J

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
She has a sence of humor, she's married to me!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I would do some more checking into the noise, a small whine is normal, but too extreme will leave you stranded at some point.
Well, OK...

How would a guy go about making a determination on whether the whine was "small" or not?? If it helps, when you're on the seat, you can just barely hear the exhaust over the whine. Volume of whine increases/ decreases according to speed.

Did that make any sense ???

-J

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
If you wife isn't on the rig when this is happening then it's to loud!

·
Registered
37 Posts
1200 Bruce; thanks for the laugh

1 - 13 of 13 Posts