Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My buddy is looking for a new bulb for his Sportsman and was told by the dealer that you can't get them anymore. Is there anywhere to get them or is the dealership correct?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Find it hard to believe Polaris wouldn't make there own bulbs they would use whats on the market pull it out take it to an auto parts place they will tell you if it some sort of special bulb or off the shelf cheers.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Apparently they used 2 different type bulbs on this model. Maybe early build and late build is my guess. His has 2 prongs. He thought he found it at an online ATV store and ordered a pair but they have 3 prongs.
Good idea on checking Auto Parts store.

·
Registered
6,605 Posts
Find it hard to believe Polaris wouldn't make there own bulbs they would use whats on the market pull it out take it to an auto parts place they will tell you if it some sort of special bulb or off the shelf cheers.
Polaris never manufactured a light bulb - they bought them from a bulb manufacturer

Although the bulbs are NLA, the entire light assembly (with bulb) is available - 2431014 left hand and 2431015 right hand for $93 each or just go to tractor supply and get something that will fit the opening and create your own mount or just get an LED bar and duct tape it on. Do you have the manufacturer's number of the bulb?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wow that is quite costly! I thought the price for the bulbs he got were bad at 54 bucks for a pair that turned out to be wrong for his.
Yes I have the number:2870448
I looked for a long time and thought I found them at Battery and Bulbs Plus online but after he came over last night with the actual old bulb they are nowhere close to being right. The ones that they have for that number look more like brake light bulbs. His are in a plastic plug like many car headlights are with 2 prongs.

·
Registered
6,605 Posts
Some of the plastic plugs on the bulbs are adapters for the socket - I have seen some bulbs that could be removed from the adapter and then replaced by a standard bulb.

·
9,855 Posts
They are a proprietary bulb designed specifically for that Polaris application on the older machines.
Many guys simply replace the OEM headlights on those older machines with 4" or 6" led lights. Much brighter and WAY cheaper than buying bulbs if you can even find them.
Here's some links but there are many more.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Some of the plastic plugs on the bulbs are adapters for the socket - I have seen some bulbs that could be removed from the adapter and then replaced by a standard bulb.
He did remove the old one from the plug so maybe that is an option. He was thinking about trying the new 3 wire one without using the middle wire but that may not work and waste a 27 dollar bulb.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
They are a proprietary bulb designed specifically for that Polaris application on the older machines.
Many guys simply replace the OEM headlights on those older machines with 4" or 6" led lights. Much brighter and WAY cheaper than buying bulbs if you can even find them.
Those lights are much cheaper than I would have thought they would be. I have a 2014 RZR 800 and the guy I got it from has 2 square ones mounted on the the top of the fenders near the pillar posts. Those things are great. Makes the stock lights look like candles.
If this was mine these are the way i would go. I will pass on the info and thank you everyone who responded.

·
Registered
2002 Polaris Sportsman 500 HO
7 Posts
I replaced my low beams w/ 2 4" 60w LED's from Amazon, less than $30

1 - 10 of 10 Posts