Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2008 Sportsman 500 HO EFI.

So before I begin with my inquiry, I know this topic has been discussed many of times, but most of the information pertaining to the older vehicles, to me are outdated. So I'm going to dig into this in hopes that somebody has some insight on some newer tech.

Being that I have an older machine, I'm not able to do some of the headlight mods I've seen. Example, the flush pods. My headlight opening just isn't big enough for the common 4.7-5" x 3-3.5" that I have seen.

I have seen some 3-3.5" x 2.5-3.5" squares that might work in the opening, just unsure of performance. Pods aside, I have also just given up in the search for the perfect fit and just go with LED bulbs.

Ideally I would want a bulb with anywhere between 18-24W draw, producing anywhere between 1000-2000LM.

That is, in a nutshell, my end game. Get this bundled up before winter so I can give my winch/plow all the power it will need without triggering my low voltage gauge.

So what y'all think? Any and ALL suggestions are welcome. Thank You :)

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
These do have a higher output charging system compared to the older stuff. Are you sure your battery and charging system are in good shape?
You could just mount a smallish lightbar(14"-18") on top of your front box and unhook your high beam lamp and use this as your power supply for the light bar. Most of light bars use about ten amps which is more than you are looking for but is a lil less than stock plus they light up like daylight. my two cents.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
These do have a higher output charging system compared to the older stuff. Are you sure your battery and charging system are in good shape?

You could just mount a smallish lightbar(14"-18") on top of your front box and unhook your high beam lamp and use this as your power supply for the light bar. Most of light bars use about ten amps which is more than you are looking for but is a lil less than stock plus they light up like daylight. my two cents.

Yep my charging system and battery is good. New stator and regulator charging at 13.7-14 with throttle.

Not really looking for a light bar. To me it’s going to be led replacement or some smaller pods.

I have the 3-headlight mod. So lower the wattage the better with high output.

I appreciate the suggestion though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 3 of 3 Posts